Kyle Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people get stick for saying they don't rate Walker that highly. I'm not particularly enamoured with him either, tbh. I can see why we're in for him though, as he'll provide some much needed aggression and pace, and the fact that he is homegrown is key I presume. Personally I'd rather see us go for Fabinho, who could cover both RB and CM, and try to fill the homegrown spot elsewhere, but that's not going to happen.
At least you propose an alternative, all though not a very realistic one given Fabinho seems not to want to play fullback. One liner statements along the lines of "Walker is wank" IMHO really are not very constructive inputs to the debate. It looks more like WUMming to me and I think that is one reason why stick is given.

We don't need a defence our midfield is the bees no one will get the ball.
How did that work last season?

4-5 breakaways - 1-2 goals.

Inefficient defending and inefficient attacking. I'm confident we're well on the way to sorting that out.

Only going off you tube videos so I know not conclusive but there are lots of examples of some very good passes cross field to switch the play. What makes you think Pep would buy a full back that can't pass and therefore give possession away. It make no sense, after all the full backs he has worked with over the years.

Not being good at passing =/= giving the ball away. Fernando isn't a good passer of the ball, but he has a 98% success rate. He doesn't give the ball away.

I think Pep would want him because he appreciates work off the ball more than anyone, he values someone who is positioned well, who makes intelligent runs, who can win the ball back quickly and decisively. He knows we desperately need someone who will defend half the pitch on his own, who will cut out counterattacks and actually go toe-to-toe physically with anyone.

Not only that, but his team are on the record as believing players can improve their basic technique no matter how old, and use the example of Abidal in Pep Confidential as someone who was a great physical defender but technically limited when Guardiola arrived, and was completely transformed by the time he left, despite starting that transformation at 30. He was taught better control, passing, and how to read the attacking side of the game, and he went from good to absolutely great, and a vital part of Pep's Barca.

So I think Guardiola will see the athlete Walker is, with the 1v1 skills which make him a great defender, the intelligent pressing game and the progress he's made tactically under Pochettino and think that he's going to hold down the RB position nicely as he is, but also that he's a player who's capable of learning and adapting, and with some improvements on the technical side he can reach a whole other level, like Abidal did.

I'm excited by the signing, I don't want people to think I'm not just because I picked up some technical deficiencies in his game, I just think he's very effective despite those and if anything that means he's got room to grow which makes me even more excited by the signing.

Last edited:
I definitely think Walker will do well for us...he's got plenty of energy and is quick so that's a start.

Not arsed whether he's HG or not as long as he's defensively sound and fits the system Pep wants to play then it's a yes from me.

At least you propose an alternative, all though not a very realistic one given Fabinho seems not to want to play fullback. One liner statements along the lines of "Walker is wank" IMHO really are not very constructive inputs to the debate. It looks more like WUMming to me and I think that is one reason why stick is given.

Fair point. In terms of homegrown alternatives, there aren't many. Possibly Trippier before he signed his new deal at Spurs? A move back to Manchester and the chance to work with Guardiola might've tempted him, but he's not at Walker's level yet. In terms of right backs generally, then I guess the likes of Semedo, Bellerin, Cedric could be considered as alternatives. Not that it matters, as it's obviously Walker that Guardiola has identified as the one he wants, and we have to trust his judgement.

So do you disagree simply because you don't think Pep would be interested in a player like that, or because you've actually seen him as a good passer, dribbler, crosser etc.?

Guardiola appreciates work off the ball more than anyone, I think he'll be more than happy with someone who will run for days (smart runs as well), press, win the ball high up, defend large spaces very well to protect us from counter attacks and impose himself physically.
Is that not precisely what we are looking for in Pep's system?

He's the best RB in the league and has been great for Spurs these last few years

Add some much needed physicality, pace and agression to our team

Much more comfortable with us signing this lad than Bellerin tbh

We are in danger of becoming a team of midgets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.