Kyle Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you pinpoint why you don't rate him then? Seems a bit weird to say that you can't think of a better rb in the league, but then with the same breath say "i just dont rate him".

I actually think that's quite easy to answer, possibly because I had the same issues with Walker myself a couple of months ago when this transfer first seemed to be real.

What's he good at?

He's not a good passer of the ball, has poor control, he's not a great dribbler, he's not got particularly good deliveries, and he can't shoot.

What he's is actually great at is essentially running (quickly), pressing, and using his physical power to in 1v1 situations to either defend (aided by good tackling) or find room to cut a ball back into the box.

He's the best in the league despite actually not being more than average when in possession of the football because now Pochettino has improved his positioning, he's very good without the ball.

And so there's a weird dichotomy. Average footballer, Great player.

Pochettino has created a system at Spurs where all of that off the ball stuff makes him a vital member of the team while others provide the quality. Here I expect the same. He'll hold down that side of the pitch, bombing up and down, doing very basic stuff effectively while the world class players around him provide skill.

And with a bit of luck he'll pick a few things off Alves, and his basic ball skills will improve over time and he might become more rounded here, but if not, RB will at least not be a problem position for us any time soon.

Last edited:
Bollocks. Ota and Vinny were the strongest pairing all season and Ota was our most consistent CB.

The reason Stones looked poor is because he is. Not saying he wont make it, but he has a long way to go.
I don't think that Stones is poor, but I do think that his brain doesn't compute things fast enough to become world class. However he possess good control of the ball and can make a great pass every now and then. As he matures on the pitch, his awareness and positioning, will become second nature. He will learn from those around him as well as some of the best coaches in the world, and become an extremely good defender decent enough for any top team, but his slow thinking under pressure will hold him back from becoming a truly world class defender.

I actually think that's quite easy to answer, possibly because I had the same issues with Walker myself a couple of months ago when this transfer first seemed to be real.

What's he good at?

He's not a good passer of the ball, has poor control, he's not a great dribbler, he's not got particularly good deliveries, and he can't shoot.

What he's is actually great at is essentially running (quickly), pressing, and using his physical power to in 1v1 situations to either defend (aided by good tackling) or find room to cut a ball back into the box.

He's the best in the league despite actually not being more than average when in possession of the football because now Pochettino has improved his positioning, he's very good without the ball.

And so there's a weird dichotomy. Average footballer, Great player.

Pochettino has created a system at Spurs where all of that off the ball stuff makes him a vital member of the team while others provide the quality. Here I expect the same.

Your assessment of what he can or can't do isn't one I agree with tbh mate. I find it hard to believe that Pep would be pushing really hard to break the world record fee for a full back who can't do a lot of the things you say he can't do.

Can you pinpoint why you don't rate him then? Seems a bit weird to say that you can't think of a better rb in the league, but then with the same breath say "i just dont rate him".

I work with a few Spurs season ticket holders and they are genuinely amazed we are willing to pay so much for him. In their opinion he has more bad games, where he looks truly awful than good games. Obviously this could be a case of sour grapes, but I've known them over 10 years. So I doubt sour grapes is entirely the case.

I don't think he's that good either but I get we need to buy HG, it's just a pity we can't sign better HG players in other positions.

Your assessment of what he can or can't do isn't one I agree with tbh mate. I find it hard to believe that Pep would be pushing really hard to break the world record fee for a full back who can't do a lot of the things you say he can't do.

So do you disagree simply because you don't think Pep would be interested in a player like that, or because you've actually seen him as a good passer, dribbler, crosser etc.?

Guardiola appreciates work off the ball more than anyone, I think he'll be more than happy with someone who will run for days (smart runs as well), press, win the ball high up, defend large spaces very well to protect us from counter attacks and impose himself physically.

I work with a few Spurs season ticket holders and they are genuinely amazed we are willing to pay so much for him. In their opinion he has more bad games, where he looks truly awful than good games. Obviously this could be a case of sour grapes, but I've known them over 10 years. So I doubt sour grapes is entirely the case.

I don't think he's that good either but I get we need to buy HG, it's just a pity we can't sign better HG players in other positions.

Hmmmm. Spurs fans at your work or Pep Guardiola and his team ?

People keep going on about the h/g thing as if it's actually a big thing. It isn't. He isn't being bought because he's homegrown, he's being bought because Pep thinks he is the best player available for him in that position this summer.

So do you disagree simply because you don't think Pep would be interested in a player like that, or because you've actually seen him as a good passer, dribbler, crosser etc.?

Both. I don't think Pep would be interested in a player like that and frankly, to say he can't control, pass, dribble, etc is the kind of nonsense people used to write about Raz (some still do). As I say though, proof of the pudding is in the eating. Walker's coming. Be interesting to see how opinions develop over the next 12 months.

Not sure why people get stick for saying they don't rate Walker that highly. I'm not particularly enamoured with him either, tbh. I can see why we're in for him though, as he'll provide some much needed aggression and pace, and the fact that he is homegrown is key I presume. Personally I'd rather see us go for Fabinho, who could cover both RB and CM, and try to fill the homegrown spot elsewhere, but that's not going to happen.

Both. I don't think Pep would be interested in a player like that and frankly, to say he can't control, pass, dribble, etc is the kind of nonsense people used to write about Raz (some still do). As I say though, proof of the pudding is in the eating. Walker's coming. Be interesting to see how opinions develop over the next 12 months.

Can you pinpoint any games where his passing, for example, particularly impressed you? Because when people talk shit about Sterling I can always come up with dozens of examples as to why they're wrong.

You seem to think I'm not rating him, which isn't true, I just rate him because of his work off the ball. Intelligent running, winning the ball back high up, being dominant 1v1. He's not unlike Abidal was for Pep early on.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Walker develops over the next 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.