Kylian Mbappé | Real Madrid Player (pg620)

Just curious, the Champions League is one of the two most important competitions we play. If a player like him goes to Real Madrid and makes them stronger, you don’t think that impacts us? I ask because in Spain they certainly care what their Champions League rivals do in the market

It’s an interesting question - and I guess the answer is very subjective, as it comes down to the difference between sporting rivalry and something that runs deeper. It’s where the tribalism really surfaces.

We have sporting rivalries with most teams we play against - CL rivals included - which surface when we’re playing them, but essentially disappear when we’re not. What they do outside of the occasions we’re playing them doesn’t really register.

Madrid would fall into that category for most on here.

How we feel about certain National rivals spills into something much deeper, more tribal and less rational, where we find seeing them enjoy any success at all impossible to stomach.

United and Liverpool fall into that category for most (Munich for me too, personally), so seeing him join one of those clubs would hit at something deep within us.

Plus because the PL has so many strong teams, we have a genuine rivalry with a far greater number of clubs. In Spain, there’s such a gulf from the big two to the rest (Ateltico sitting somewhere in between) that the sense of proper competition isn’t as strong. So they probably care more about their CL rivals than we do.

We have sporting rivalries with most teams we play against - CL rivals included - which surface when we’re playing them, but essentially disappear when we’re not. What they do outside of the occasions we’re playing them doesn’t really register.

Madrid would fall into that category for most on here.
The point I was making was more simple. A team like Madrid is already quite strong and has a tendency to do well in the Champions League. They will get even stronger with Mbappe, which will make our hopes of winning that title (which is a major target of our season efforts) harder. That’s irrespective of any historical rivalry

The point I was making was more simple. A team like Madrid is already quite strong and has a tendency to do well in the Champions League. They will get even stronger with Mbappe, which will make our hopes of winning that title (which is a major target of our season efforts) harder. That’s irrespective of any historical rivalry

Yeah - I get your point, and I don’t disagree.

But the point I was making is more about how much energy your average City fan can be bothered to put into what Madrid are doing as compared to our biggest National rivals.

Madrid will always buy good players - and for the most part, it’s difficult to care that much. Apart from when we play them, when the fact they have Mbappe in their side will become important to us.

Outside of that, personally it’s just not something I can be bothered to assign any energy to.

It’s practical point vs an emotional point, and our reactions are dictated by which of those camps a team falls into.

I don't rate PSG and their set-up.

When he goes to Madrid he won't be their main striker, just like he isn't in French team.
I do think he does extremely well at PSG regardless of how the team operates as a whole. But in a more organized team, the sky is the limit

I do think he does extremely well at PSG regardless of how the team operates as a whole. But in a more organized team, the sky is the limit
100% agree Gus. He is an unbelievable player. In my opinion a level above Haaland at this stage of his career.

But I do think Haaland will suit us better in the PL and under Pep will grow a lot.

I’m gonna say something i know is comical but here goes.

From about 2017-2021 i thought Mbappe was left footed. I think this is because whenever i saw him shoot with his right….it kinda looked like he was using his wrong foot

Aguero, Ronaldo (o.g.), Rooney, Trezeguet, Batistuta, Van Nistelrooy. When they fucking hit it they absolutely twatted it and it looked natural and like a bomb had gone off that the ball was rocketing off from.

Mbappe just….doesn't. He caresses it in with deliberate technique and 50% of me thinks his whole game is just pace.

I’m gonna say something i know is comical but here goes.

From about 2017-2021 i thought Mbappe was left footed. I think this is because whenever i saw him shoot with his right….it kinda looked like he was using his wrong foot

Aguero, Ronaldo (o.g.), Rooney, Trezeguet, Batistuta, Van Nistelrooy. When they fucking hit it they absolutely twatted it and it looked natural and like a bomb had gone off that the ball was rocketing off from.

Mbappe just….doesn't. He caresses it in with deliberate technique and 50% of me thinks his whole game is just pace.
Prefer haalands pace and strength to mbun !:))

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.