Kylian Mbappé | Real Madrid Player (pg620)

LOL Mbappe at Manchester? Can't see it happening

While i'm on this, I cant see our club making 100m+ marquee buys (I hope i'm horribly wrong); we never have.

I’m not sure why we have the reluctance to buy big on certain players? Are we still wary of FFP? With the money the club gets from TV etc surely we can spend £80m plus on a player if they are perfect for what we need?

Because the bigger the spend the bigger the commitment. The club is self aware. Imagine spending stupid money on Morata, VVD, and Pogba and then looking silly. We won’t take that risk.

I’m not sure why we have the reluctance to buy big on certain players? Are we still wary of FFP? With the money the club gets from TV etc surely we can spend £80m plus on a player if they are perfect for what we need?

Because the bigger the spend the bigger the commitment. The club is self aware. Imagine spending stupid money on Morata, VVD, and Pogba and then looking silly. We won’t take that risk.

I guess because our strategy (of multiple 30-50m purchases) have delivered relatively consistent and successful results throughout the past decade. The owner's don't feel it's necessary to make those astronomical purchases, which the likes of Barca, RM, PSG make (100m+).

Question: what's the most expsensive dud that we've purchased?
Wilfried Bony (£28 million); Jo (19£ million)?

I think the club are aware that Kompany and Aguero will need replacing soon and the latter will cost mega-ding.
Get the impression we are living within our means before the big outlay happens on a forward.

I guess because our strategy (of multiple 30-50m purchases) have delivered relatively consistent and successful results throughout the past decade. The owner's don't feel it's necessary to make those astronomical purchases, which the likes of Barca, RM, PSG make (100m+).

Question: what's the most expsensive dud that we've purchased?
Mangala but if inflation is taken into account the sicknote himself RSC.

I'm with you Aussie! I'd have pulled the trigger twice on silly money with Pogba + Mbappe but the club obviously refuses to do that so we're wasting time in any thread that involves serious money (that includes Pjanic).

Wonder what username Mendy uses on here?

Bit off topic but he's bound to be on here somewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Global game and all that. Kevin Durant is a B**** and he's everywhere responding to everybody. Probably on bluemoon with another burner. SOFT MOVE KD. SO SOFT!

I don't think we know for sure that we're reluctant to go big if we think the player is perfect. It was Pogba and then Neymar/Mbappe that made £80m and then £150m+ the norm. I don't think we've required a marquee signing since then though (until now that is). Sounds like we did go for Mbappe but we were turned down.

The £55m fee we paid for De Bruyne three years ago, before this latest escalation of fees was
pretty huge. He hadn't proven himself at the very top yet but he was clearly deemed perfect.

People thought £49m for Sterling was insane three years ago. It dragged on a while but the club paid up in the end because they thought he was perfect.

Kyle Walker was only last summer but that kind of fee for a full back was considered an eyewatering amount by both writers and people on here but the club paid it cos he suited our needs.

I'd say they took a huge gamble on laporte too but they've done so because he's deemed perfect for our needs.

We've also done some smart business where we've acquired £70-80m players for far less e.g Sane and Bernardo. And we got our perfect goalie for £30m.

So whilst I agree, we do look for value, I think we've shown we'll take a risk where we need to. I think we're pretty smart operators in the market tbh.

With the need for someone to take over from fernandinho now here and aguero possibly next season, we'll potentially see our willingness to spend huge in the £100m+ era put to the test. The jorginho transfer was a bit weird in the end and it seems there was other stuff going on not just about money. I don't actually think there's anyone they feel is "perfect" for that role on the market right now though.

We also need to consider though that wages also come into it and there's more to that that just throwing money at things. Unless you maintain a bit of discipline there you'll throw your whole squad out of whack.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.