Kylian Mbappé | Real Madrid Player (pg620)

not sure how accurate that is but it does bring it into perspective, but here is spoilt brat time, Sterling was 3 years ago Jesus 2 years ago Sane 1 year ago where is this years i want him NOW
well were trying to sign a guy called rafael leao who is extremely highly rated in portugal and we just signed claudio gomes so maybe those are this years ones.

Why did he turn us down?

Sounds like his long term aim is play for Madrid as he supported them as a kid and tbh it doesn't get any bigger than Madrid.I can see why he backs himself to make that move eventually. In the interim, I can also see why he chose Paris over Manchester. Even though it's not a great league, it's his home city and they're an attractive club who can match our offer in terms of salary etc. I'm speculating of course, but all things considered, it makes sense.

Sounds like his long term aim is play for Madrid as he supported them as a kid and tbh it doesn't get any bigger than Madrid.I can see why he backs himself to make that move eventually. In the interim, I can also see why he chose Paris over Manchester. Even though it's not a great league, it's his home city and they're an attractive club who can match our offer in terms of salary etc. I'm speculating of course, but all things considered, it makes sense.

Why did he come out and say it?

I don't think we know for sure that we're reluctant to go big if we think the player is perfect. It was Pogba and then Neymar/Mbappe that made £80m and then £150m+ the norm. I don't think we've required a marquee signing since then though (until now that is). Sounds like we did go for Mbappe but we were turned down.

The £55m fee we paid for De Bruyne three years ago, before this latest escalation of fees was
pretty huge. He hadn't proven himself at the very top yet but he was clearly deemed perfect.

People thought £49m for Sterling was insane three years ago. It dragged on a while but the club paid up in the end because they thought he was perfect.

Kyle Walker was only last summer but that kind of fee for a full back was considered an eyewatering amount by both writers and people on here but the club paid it cos he suited our needs.

I'd say they took a huge gamble on laporte too but they've done so because he's deemed perfect for our needs.

We've also done some smart business where we've acquired £70-80m players for far less e.g Sane and Bernardo. And we got our perfect goalie for £30m.

So whilst I agree, we do look for value, I think we've shown we'll take a risk where we need to. I think we're pretty smart operators in the market tbh.

With the need for someone to take over from fernandinho now here and aguero possibly next season, we'll potentially see our willingness to spend huge in the £100m+ era put to the test. The jorginho transfer was a bit weird in the end and it seems there was other stuff going on not just about money. I don't actually think there's anyone they feel is "perfect" for that role on the market right now though.

We also need to consider though that wages also come into it and there's more to that that just throwing money at things. Unless you maintain a bit of discipline there you'll throw your whole squad out of whack.

He was:
Bundesliga Young Player if the Year 2012-13
Bundesliga Player of the Year 2014-15
Footballer of the Year in Germany for 2015

If that is not proving himself at the "top" it is pretty damn close. I'm not sure what more he could have done.

Keep in mind, he did this while not playing for the German rags or Dortmund.

well were trying to sign a guy called rafael leao who is extremely highly rated in portugal and we just signed claudio gomes so maybe those are this years ones.
tried watching Gomes but had a poor stream and he was not on long enough to make a judgement i have seen Leao for a big lad he has a very good first touch which will stand him in good stead hope we get him

He was:
Bundesliga Young Player if the Year 2012-13
Bundesliga Player of the Year 2014-15
Footballer of the Year in Germany for 2015

If that is not proving himself at the "top" it is pretty damn close. I'm not sure what more he could have done.

Keep in mind, he did this while not playing for the German rags or Dortmund.

I don't disagree with you and the club clearly liked what they saw too as they seemed determined to get the deal over the line. I still think people have a different perception of just how good these players are though unless they've done it at what you might call an elite club (hence me using the phrase "at the VERY top"). Similar situation to Mahrez really. He's won the premier league playing for Leicester and won player of the year but there's a sizeable number of people who believe he won't have proven himself at the very top until he does it at an elite club. Hopefully he will!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.