Lack of pace on the wings

In the first half yesterday, Everton were defending on the half way line at times. Haaland was making runs and our players were just passing the ball backwards.
This was so frustrating, Everton compacted the pitch to about 15 yards, yet not once did we try a ball over the top. I am sure Haaland can out sprint Godfrey and Tarkovski, at the very least it gets them turning and dropping a few yards deeper. I can’t remember the last time Ederson played a long ball over the top.

It’s all a bit pointless. Pep doesn’t want pace on the wings. He wants control and the ability to slow the game. This has been coming for a long time. Remember our away win at Brentford when Phil scored the only goal, pep said then, go at them fast and they will come back at you faster. Our tempo has gradually been getting slower and slower by design. If folk want pace on the wings then either Pep needs to totally change direction or go.

We are completely devoid of any pace and directness when both Mahrez and Grealish play.

Opponents know neither will go down the outside because they need to chop the ball back or inside, to afford themselves that yard of space to then work in.

Ironically, our goal came yesterday because Mahrez changed the habit of a lifetime by fooling his marker and going on outside.

Sadly, like with all signings we make, we are desperate for things to work out, but I fear Jack is already proving a costly mistake.

He doesn't have the ball skills of Mahrez to beat his man and so he does look clumsy and invariably draws the foul because the first touch out of his feet isn't quick enough.

His reaction to Haaland's first goal at Leeds showed how much it meant to him, even though it was an act of unselfishness which hardly pushed the footballing boundaries, with Pep even suggesting when his head is more confident, he might take those opportunities on himself?

Jack seems a good lad and the manager and players are clearly pulling for him to come good, yet unlike other players we have, he doesn't have the versatility to thrive in other positions.

The £100m fee isn't his fault, but it is the first time I felt we have made a United-type statement signing since Bony, where the public hype train was greater than the talent on display.

Similarly, how the cult of personality created a national group think that Sterling was still operating at an elite level in his final 18 months with City.

Jack wasn't a kid when he joined us, he's had more than a year to show there is more to come, and it still isn't.

Phil is a better fit for the team on the left and even Cancelo and Palmer have shown more threat in those areas of the pitch.

We need Jack to be chipping in with eight or ten goals a season and his record doesn't suggest he has ever been that?

My ideal three would be Foden, Haaland and Alvarez, from an intensity/goal threat perspective and hopefully we get to see more of that in the coming months and in Europe.

Jack isn't going anywhere soon and earns more than most. There comes a point, however, where in the next few weeks he needs to make the ultimate step, or we need to accept City and Pep got this one wrong.

Just as Chelsea did with Lukaku. A good player, yes, but in the wrong team and environment.

I'd have loved City to have been scouting someone like Luis Diaz at £37m :(

It's why, as much as I have loved Bellingham and his energy, I even question if I'm right, in terms of his City fit?
I agree about Grealish, i didn’t think we needed him at the time as it looked like him and Foden would be in competition for a place and that’s what’s happened. To compound the problem, Grealish just hasn’t produced and it doesn’t matter what Foden does he just can’t seem to get a decent run.

If Grealish does stay beyond this season I do think though that Foden will be moved to play left midfield for us.

As for Bellingham, if Bernardo leaves I think we need him and this type of player.

Now we have Haaland we need to change the way we play and we need to be faster in midfield and move the ball quicker.

So to me this means we need Bellingham and Foden in midfield to give us more power and pace in the box to box roles.

It would change the midfield to more of a diamond with Rodri sitting, Bellingham and Foden either side and KDB sitting behind Haaland and Alvarez.

Good post.

I don’t think Grealish fits our team and I’ve never thought Bellingham looks like a City player neither.

David Silva, Ilkay Gundogan, Kevin de Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, even Phil Foden who has rarely played there and Samir Nasri who Pep didn’t even fancy are all City type players in attacking midfield… but then look at Bellingham’s skill set and I reckon he’d be as out of place in our team as Grealish is.
Not if we play him in the middle. He’d be fantastic for us playing alongside Kev. He has everything. Sell Grealish (love him as a person,just not quite fitting in at City), use the money to buy a winger and of course a proper left back. Like someone said earlier Spains tippy tappy style is no longer the way to go in the modern game. Todays game is about speed, playing through channels and overlapping fullbacks. I feel we are stuck somewhere in the middle of the two especially when we play mahrez and grealish in the same team. Playing Alvarez and Foden regularly would see us playing on the front foot more often rather than checking back inside and passing sideways.

BTW lets not be excessively hard on ourselves with Grealish.

From time to time clubs get it wrong with someone. Including us.

Voldemort is such a signing that we don't like to talk about for obvious reasons. And Bony.

But we get more right than wrong.

We are completely devoid of any pace and directness when both Mahrez and Grealish play.

Opponents know neither will go down the outside because they need to chop the ball back or inside, to afford themselves that yard of space to then work in.

Ironically, our goal came yesterday because Mahrez changed the habit of a lifetime by fooling his marker and going on outside.

Sadly, like with all signings we make, we are desperate for things to work out, but I fear Jack is already proving a costly mistake.

He doesn't have the ball skills of Mahrez to beat his man and so he does look clumsy and invariably draws the foul because the first touch out of his feet isn't quick enough.

His reaction to Haaland's first goal at Leeds showed how much it meant to him, even though it was an act of unselfishness which hardly pushed the footballing boundaries, with Pep even suggesting when his head is more confident, he might take those opportunities on himself?

Jack seems a good lad and the manager and players are clearly pulling for him to come good, yet unlike other players we have, he doesn't have the versatility to thrive in other positions.

The £100m fee isn't his fault, but it is the first time I felt we have made a United-type statement signing since Bony, where the public hype train was greater than the talent on display.

Similarly, how the cult of personality created a national group think that Sterling was still operating at an elite level in his final 18 months with City.

Jack wasn't a kid when he joined us, he's had more than a year to show there is more to come, and it still isn't.

Phil is a better fit for the team on the left and even Cancelo and Palmer have shown more threat in those areas of the pitch.

We need Jack to be chipping in with eight or ten goals a season and his record doesn't suggest he has ever been that?

My ideal three would be Foden, Haaland and Alvarez, from an intensity/goal threat perspective and hopefully we get to see more of that in the coming months and in Europe.

Jack isn't going anywhere soon and earns more than most. There comes a point, however, where in the next few weeks he needs to make the ultimate step, or we need to accept City and Pep got this one wrong.

Just as Chelsea did with Lukaku. A good player, yes, but in the wrong team and environment.

I'd have loved City to have been scouting someone like Luis Diaz at £37m :(

It's why, as much as I have loved Bellingham and his energy, I even question if I'm right, in terms of his City fit?
Great post

I think it’s more a matter of movement than pace that’s our big issue. I also think our issues go way beyond the inclusion of Mahrez and Grealish and they are just convenient scapegoats.

Everyone of our players who started against Everton, bar Haaland, want to receive the ball to feet. None of them make runs to free up space for others to work in. That’s why it’s piss easy to mark our wide players out of the game.

If you look at our goal, it was Grealish’s driving run which drew players towards him which created the initial space for Mahrez. That’s what is lacking in this side, the player who creates space for others. David Silva was the master of it.

I actually think playing Jack centrally could be the solution to this. He shown at Villa that he can keep possession under pressure from multiple defenders and his dribbling ability will naturally create space for others. His best moments in a City shirt have been dribbling through the middle and creating chances.
If you're playing Grealish in the middle , who are you dropping?

One big problem is playing with inverted wingers, always nearly go on the inside end up overplaying and no delivery of 1st time crosses. Need to get past last defender on the outside and cross the ball, from those areas we can attack the spaces.

Could try a combo of KDB, Grealish and Rodri or Bernardo, Grealish and Rodri.
If you want to play Grealish in the middle, you are either dropping Kev or shifting him to the right wing. Either way that would weaken the team.

Playing both in the centre would take control of the game away and leave us very vulnerable to counter attacks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.