Lack of pace on the wings

Walker is the only defender I know who actively encourages the winger to have a go at him and try do him for pace. Never loses.

With regards to pacy wingers I think we could really do with one however the trouble is who’s out there that would fit the bill.
Such an asset having pace on the wings. We go back and recycle the ball way too much on the wings when it’s crying out to drive into the box. Makes defending so tough.
We lack pace all over the park. Granted against most teams we find a way but would be lovely to have a couple of speed merchants to keep the opposition honest. Especially on the break. Hopefully Haaland will be able to cause issues as he is no slouch.

Haaland is rapid, obviously not a winger

He could certainly put the shits up teams with his pace in behind if our players get their head up and release it earlier sometimes.

You could see the runs he’s making, they wouldn’t catch him but against Liverpool we didn’t utilise it but I’m sure that’ll come
It will but there aren’t many teams that play as high as liverpool do against us.

It can be frustrating at times when we manage to get our winger into a 1 v 1 scenario and they decide to pass it back. Hoping the realisation that someone will always be in the box will change things.

In games that we need pace we just play this front 3 Foden - Haaland - Alvarez ..Grealish and Mahrez can come in with one of the other front 3 against slower teams

Says it all if you have to revert back to 2018
Sane left two seasons ago and the year before he has in rehab with a ACL, so it's difficult not to.

For me the 2018/19 was the best Pep team to watch, pacey, very direct superb attacking football.

It will but there aren’t many teams that play as high as liverpool do against us.
Yeah, be very rare to see a team play a high line against us so most of the supply will to Haaland will need to come from out wide.

Fast counter-attacking is the one thing missing from our game as a team.

Sterling was good at that for a couple of years (2017-2019 era) and Sané was excellent at it. But whenever we’ve had the chance to quickly counter-attack over the last few years we seem to slow down, check back and wait for numbers instead of just going for it. Sterling was probably the worst for that when he played after being a good counter-attacker previously.

de Bruyne seems to be the only player who’ll consistently carry the ball directly forward and entice runners to get ahead of him. This is where I think Grealish would be good in midfield because he’s a strong runner with the ball and can carry the ball through a broken field and the quicker players could get ahead of him then.

Foden and Alvarez could be the answer to this as they both have pace, with Grealish in midfield instead of wide. But that leaves us a winger short squad-wise so we’d have to sign another winger as well as a left back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.