Lack of pace on the wings

It can be frustrating at times when we manage to get our winger into a 1 v 1 scenario and they decide to pass it back. Hoping the realisation that someone will always be in the box will change things.
That’s a particular bugbear of mine. Drive on to the bye line Ffs. Not a fan of inverted wingers either.

That’s a particular bugbear of mine. Drive on to the bye line Ffs. Not a fan of inverted wingers either.
When did we last do that though even with Sane and Sterling we didn’t they would be put through , usually by Silva, in the area and they’d pull it back or put it across the 6 yard area for a tap in. They hardly ever went wide to the by line and crossed it.

How many games did Mahrez start in league last season?
Ok admittedly I used the term "vast majority" quite loosely ;-)

Still for me, playing some part in 28 games as an attacking player in the highest scoring team in the league makes it at least arguable that he helps make us dangerous as a team

When did we last do that though even with Sane and Sterling we didn’t they would be put through , usually by Silva, in the area and they’d pull it back or put it across the 6 yard area for a tap in. They hardly ever went wide to the by line and crossed it.
Final match v Villa! Can't remember any others from last season probably because it's fresh in the memory, and a very important goal too. Created by Sterling.

Spot on. Odd how the Mahrez and Grealish naysayers fail to acknowledge that we scored the most PL goals even with this undangerous pair playing in the vast majority of the games.
We scored 7-0 against Leeds 4-1 against Man united with this pair. Before saying the opposites were shit we got 2-0 against Man united and 4-1 against Leeds with a different pair of wingers...

The idea is Grealish to cut inside to create an overload on the left side, shifted to the right to let Mahrez/KDB finish it off. We saw similar cases happened in the game vs Liverpool but just unfortunately the shots were saved. I think that this set up is okay at least for normal league games but we just need to add more variations and also include Halaand run into this system.

Just look at Liverpool Salah and Dias are also inverted wingers and sometimes Salah only holds the ball wide instead of cutting inside and wait for TAA and Henderson arrive. Mahrez and Grealish did the same but our full backs and midfielders tend to stay behind. I suspect that Pep told Cancelo and Walker to run less and avoid injuries because they are the only 2 senior full backs... We need to buy some more. With the 5 subs rule many teams will use multiple pairs of wingers and full backs to run at us and we need back ups.

First - you’re wrong. We have plenty of pace. Mahrez and grealish are plenty quick. Plus we have Walker and cancelo.
Second - What good is pace when we play the vast majority of our games in the opponents final 3rd and it’s technical ability that unlocks the defences. Overlapping runs trump pace 100 times out of 100 if done correctly.

And switching from defence to attack… we did that plenty last season. KDB managed that a lot on his own.

First - you’re wrong. We have plenty of pace. Mahrez and grealish are plenty quick. Plus we have Walker and cancelo.
Second - What good is pace when we play the vast majority of our games in the opponents final 3rd and it’s technical ability that unlocks the defences. Overlapping runs trump pace 100 times out of 100 if done correctly.

And switching from defence to attack… we did that plenty last season. KDB managed that a lot on his own.
Mahrez and Grealish are not quick and never have been, very different skill set to a pacey winger but when they play together we become one dimensional, especially on the left side because both Grealish and Cancello want to play in the same space.

Mahrez and Grealish are not quick and never have been, very different skill set to a pacey winger but when they play together we become one dimensional, especially on the left side because both Grealish and Cancello want to play in the same space.
Plenty

I agree can get a bit frustrating bordering on tedious at times. I don't know but suspect we do it more when we are winning and the team can hold their shape there, but it's a much better watch when they attack the byline.

We really miss a Vinnius type of player on the wing. That's where we are short, especially given we have sold Sterling. None of our wingers naturally get to the byline and cross. Madrid/Benzema get so many goals this way and even if that's not how we traditionally attack it's a useful to have this in our tool box!

Who is the RW version of Vinnius?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.