Lack of pace on the wings

Yeah, be very rare to see a team play a high line against us so most of the supply will to Haaland will need to come from out wide.
Yes, although a lot of his goals for Dortmund came not from crosses, very few did, but passes around the box and underlapping cut backs to the edge of the 6 yard box. In other words how we've played and created before. I think chances Grealish with an overlapping full back would create loads of.

Fast counter-attacking is the one thing missing from our game as a team.

Sterling was good at that for a couple of years (2017-2019 era) and Sané was excellent at it. But whenever we’ve had the chance to quickly counter-attack over the last few years we seem to slow down, check back and wait for numbers instead of just going for it. Sterling was probably the worst for that when he played after being a good counter-attacker previously.

de Bruyne seems to be the only player who’ll consistently carry the ball directly forward and entice runners to get ahead of him. This is where I think Grealish would be good in midfield because he’s a strong runner with the ball and can carry the ball through a broken field and the quicker players could get ahead of him then.

Foden and Alvarez could be the answer to this as they both have pace, with Grealish in midfield instead of wide. But that leaves us a winger short squad-wise so we’d have to sign another winger as well as a left back.
I'm not quite so sure that Alvarez has the pace that people are saying on here. When he had the chance to break on Saturday, he was quite quickly caught up by their defence and he had to stop and play the ball back into midfield.

I'm not quite so sure that Alvarez has the pace that people are saying on here. When he had the chance to break on Saturday, he was quite quickly caught up by their defence and he had to stop and play the ball back into midfield.
Yeah i noticed that. Reports from Argentina never indicated he had any great pace.

Love this time of year when you can see the narratives forming. Might do a shot every time a read a variation of "with Grealish and Mahrez we look a lot less dangerous". I'll look like later years George Best before the world cup opening game.

"We never replaced Sane's pace" is the new "we never replaced De Jong's midfield aggression".

Love this time of year when you can see the narratives forming. Might do a shot every time a read a variation of "with Grealish and Mahrez we look a lot less dangerous". I'll look like later years George Best before the world cup opening game.

"We never replaced Sane's pace" is the new "we never replaced De Jong's midfield aggression".
Not really, De Jong often didn’t start the big games. You might say the same about Sane but we also had Sterling. Take those 2 and Jesus out and we lack pace out wide. Not essential but a very good option to at least have at times.

Spot on. Odd how the Mahrez and Grealish naysayers fail to acknowledge that we scored the most PL goals even with this undangerous pair playing in the vast majority of the games.

Well Mahrez and Grealish are no Robben and Ribery pace wise. Foden is quick but not Sane quick. We saw how much Vunicious troubled us with his pace in CL last year. With Sterling gone dont know how we will switch to quick transition from defense to attack that we did in the centurion season.
title has gone , it's all about top 4/6 this year . terrible window so far .

Spot on. Odd how the Mahrez and Grealish naysayers fail to acknowledge that we scored the most PL goals even with this undangerous pair playing in the vast majority of the games.
Mahrez is the best in the world at taking a cross-field pass from high in the air, trapping it dead and then he's looking for a through ball from an overlapping player, or a reverse pass. When that option isn't on he tries to move to goal, usually taking on 2/3 defenders and he gets crowded out and the turnover happens. That's where most fans get their ffs with him. Walker sometimes overlaps but his crossing is rubbish and playing a false 9 has meant quite often there isn't a Sergio waiting for the pass. Once some telepathy gets bedded between him and Haaland/Alvarez I predict good things. We all want the world with new, exciting signings but it takes time. We'll score more this season than last.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.