Lakey's Blue Tuesday question: City Horror Shows

My own personal horror show was the January 18th 2003 game away to Newcastle. Yes - the Shearer 10 second goal one!

For the one and only time ever, I was sitting in the home end and not wearing my City shirt. My Geordie supporting boyfriend and son aimed their goal celebrations in my direction. That evening, meeting all my now-husband's friends for the first time, I had to endure watching Match of the Day, Sky Sports and the local news with the Geordies all counting to 10. For weeks, my e-mail in-box was swamped with the "Let's count to 10 with City" e-mails. When I first moved up here to Geordie Land I had to endure the same teasing endlessly.

Even last year when brother-in-law changed his e-mail address and cleared out his old mails, he thought I'd like to receive the e-mail again just for old time's sake.

The 8-1 at Middlesbrough and Dunnie’s sending off. I was in the crowd that day and, after Boro’s fourth goal, the City fans seemed to be just cheering Boro because there was no point in cheering City, we were diabolical! I had a very bad summer after that waiting for the new season.

For the Forest drubbing I was in Vancouver staying with my family and a friend of theirs was a Forest fan so you can imagine the tormenting we got from him for weeks afterward!! I couldn’t even watch the ‘highlights’ on TV.

Losing 6-0 away at Derby. I think it wasn't long after we had beat Utd 5-1 as well. I remember Peter Shilton waving six fingers at the crowd. Dean Saunders ran us ragged.

The same season as yours Lakey, 88-89, you also played in this one and it should bring you out in a cold sweat.

Bournemouth in our last home game of the season and a win would seal promotion.
We were 3-0 up at half time, but Ian Bishop was running the show for the opposition. No doubt Mel Machin gave you an inspirational team talk along the lines of "Just keep giving Bishop all the time in the world"

We're still talking about the match at Old Trafford a few weeks ago where the ref added seven minutes on. Where did the ref against Bournemouth find an additional nine minutes and what was Andy Hinchcliffe doing diving in and giving that penalty away in the 99th minute?

Anyway, for your younger audience the horror was, we drew the game 3-3 and had to endure another "typical City" end of season game vs Bradford

NQT said:
The same season as yours Lakey, 88-89, you also played in this one and it should bring you out in a cold sweat.

Bournemouth in our last home game of the season and a win would seal promotion.
We were 3-0 up at half time, but Ian Bishop was running the show for the opposition. No doubt Mel Machin gave you an inspirational team talk along the lines of "Just keep giving Bishop all the time in the world"

We're still talking about the match at Old Trafford a few weeks ago where the ref added seven minutes on. Where did the ref against Bournemouth find an additional nine minutes and what was Andy Hinchcliffe doing diving in and giving that penalty away in the 99th minute?

Anyway, for your younger audience the horror was, we drew the game 3-3 and had to endure another "typical City" end of season game vs Bradford

I second that. What should have been a promotion celebration ended up a wake.

Derby County away 0-6 would be right up there. Don't know if Lakey played in that? Brian Gayle had the worst game I've ever seen anyone have. Goddard & Saunders took us apart along with Mark Wright at corners. We were behind the goal just a few feet away, shouting at Brian Gayle who was stood on his own, to pick up Mark Wright. He looked at us, looked at Mark Wright then stood & watched as he headed the ball unnopposed into the back of our net. A few minutes later, the same thing happened again.

On another occasion he jockeyed Dean Saunders all the way down the left wing toward the corner flag, then folowed him down the dead ball line to the penalty area, then when he got there, kicked both legs from under him.

Chelsea beat us 6-0 a couple of years ago. This was the day that Garrido got found out, it was honestly the worst performance I have ever seen from any City player (for their level).

I remember getting beat at home by Reading in Division 2 after not winning for about 10 games and near the bottom of the table, in the most awful style. We hardly had the kick of the ball all game, and made no real effort to turn it around. We were slipping in to Division Three because we couldn't be bothered to play football.

Tbilisi said:
Ged Taggart a player who used his right leg just to stand on being asked to play at right back at a trouncing at Blackburn.A good player put in a ridiculous position. Every time it went to him, he had to go onto his left foot and so it ended up in the crowd.
I was at that game, the day of Hillsborough. A pretty grim afternoon all round

I remember going York (A) and getting beat 2-1 that was the lowest of the low. I've go my hopes up many a time only for us to be let down time and time again. Blackburn Quarter final a few years back, West Ham same stage. Boro when we was in Europe if we won only for Fowler to miss a last minute pen

BingoBango said:
The 5-1 aggregate defeat against Lincoln in the League Cup in '96. Seriously embarrassing stuff, and it dawned on me at that point that we really were shit.

Remember both games Uwe scoring away after about 1 min, then losing 4 -1 , put my last twenty notes on 3 - 0 win for home game.
After home game got back to car to discover back window all smashed in and my first ever suit purchased that afternoon for an interview following day gone. turned up at interview p*ssed off , full of a cold and wearing a borrowed suit three sizes too big.
Amazingly I got the job.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.