Lakeys film?

This lad always fascinates me. I probably saw every game Paul played for City. Off memory unbelievable at Bradford league 2 Nov 87. a lot of very good games after. Saw him more than hold his own with the wonderful Gascoigne v Spurs circa 90/1? . And was there the night he outclassed the darling of the English media Platt at Maine Rd in 91/2 . One will never know.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
johnnytapia said:
Corky said:
Yep same as Richard Edgehill, both got in England squads, had similar injuries. Edgehill after his injury never got a sniff of England again, at got abuse off fans in the end. Ian Brightwell was an all rounder not far behind Lake, Arsenal wanted him Campbell plus cash in around 1991, we had lots of promising players, and most have middling jobs now. If they were born 12 years later they would probably all be millionaires for life.

Folk seem to think they were on buttons - they were on significantly more than the average wage at the time - and then some. This nonsense that Lake suffered immeasurably and is now living a life of misery is utter bollocks. He did have his career cut short. Sad. He didn't die, didn't contract some life-threatening "tragic" disease. Time for some perspective. He played fewer games than Graham Baker or Jeff Whitley so let's have it right - he could have, should have, would have - but didn't.

If you have read the highly (ahem) recommended book ''Teenage Kicks'' Paul Moulden was on 250 quid a week when top scorer in the promotion season of 89 and was offered a 25 quid rise for his new contract! (Hence his move to Bournemouth.

Steve Redmond was on 750 a week when he left in 92.

Just had a nosy around and the average yearly wage in 1989 was £7,975 which is about £160 a week so he was on almost double what the average man earnt and they also always seem to quote an average wage that is higher than most people DO earn.There were probably bonuses and the like on top of that and other perks.It is true though that the days of big money in football hadn't kicked in yet.

Would he have stayed at city though? There's no loyalty in football and let's face it he left his ambassador role at the club when a better one with the premier league came up.

I do agree that it wasn't a tragedy.

A tragedy was what happened to Foe.

paulchapo said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
johnnytapia said:
Folk seem to think they were on buttons - they were on significantly more than the average wage at the time - and then some. This nonsense that Lake suffered immeasurably and is now living a life of misery is utter bollocks. He did have his career cut short. Sad. He didn't die, didn't contract some life-threatening "tragic" disease. Time for some perspective. He played fewer games than Graham Baker or Jeff Whitley so let's have it right - he could have, should have, would have - but didn't.

If you have read the highly (ahem) recommended book ''Teenage Kicks'' Paul Moulden was on 250 quid a week when top scorer in the promotion season of 89 and was offered a 25 quid rise for his new contract! (Hence his move to Bournemouth.

Just had a nosy around and the average yearly wage in 1989 was £7,975 which is about £160 a week so he was on almost double what the average man earnt and they also always seem to quote an average wage that is higher than most people DO earn.There were probably bonuses and the like on top of that and other perks.It is true though that the days of big money in football hadn't kicked in yet.

Bang on - this myth that footballers didn't get fantastic wages back in the 80s - utter bollocks. Moulden on 250 a week - nearly DOUBLE the national average. Let's not make the mistake of comparing the wages they get today with those of Lake, Redmond etc. It doesn't detract from the fact that footballers, after the lifting of the minimum wage have always been paid well in excess of the average man. Fact.

I'm afraid some of the comments on here about Lake seem to be made through blue-tinted spectacles. I watched nearly every home game he played for City and a good few aways. The idea that he was the next coming of Bobby Moore is laughable. Not one bid ever came in for him. Not one. There was all the bollocks about Souness going incognito in the North Stand, but, ultimately, it all came to nowt. The only big money move for any of those players was Paul Stewart. Lake had some good games, he'd play the odd blinder but, and this is a fact often overlooked, he plied the majority of his trade outside the top flight. I saw him play in all positions, from left back to centre half to midfield to up front - he was good. Not brilliant. And he suffered chronically from injuries. 3 games then 2 off, four then 3 off. So much talk of would have, could have, should have - and that's all it is - talk, misty eyed talk. As for it being a tragedy - never in a million fucking years. And that's fuck all to do with semantics. It's about knowing your way around the English language.

Blue Streak said:
Some time back ago here on Bluemoon it was rumoured a film was being made regarding Paul Lakes tragic career. It seems to have gone a bit quiet recently and I just wondered if anybody had any ideas if this was still happening?

Hi all,
I'm the director of Lakey's film (and very long time BM reader!) so I thought I'd just say hello and let you know that the film is very much still happening. I'm currently writing the script (in very close liaison with Paul and Joanne) so we are still classed as 'in development', which is an annoyingly vague term that basically just means we're still getting the project off the ground.

A timeline for getting any film made is very much a case of how long's a piece of string, it could be a year, it could be five years; but based on the interest we've received, and discussions we've had so far, it is certainly looking good to happen at some point (which is no guarantee in the British film industry). However, as a lifelong blue to whom Lakey was my first hero I'll certainly never stop trying to get this film made!

I obviously can't say too much just yet but I can confirm it's going to be a drama and not a documentary - we believe it's an incredibly compelling story about a man whose dreams are taken away from him through no fault of his own.

I'm not going to get involved in the debate about Lakey as a player, or what constitutes tragedy, but I will just say this... They say you should never meet your heroes as they will only disappoint you, but I can honestly say that Paul Lake is the most genuine, humble, down to earth man I've ever met, and I'm sure anyone that has met Paul will say the same.

Through having the 'charmed life' of a professional footballer, he has suffered physical and emotional turmoil and that simply cannot be denied. I imagine most of you have already done so, but for anyone that thinks Paul had it easy I respectfully suggest you read the book, because it does address almost everything that has been raised in this thread.

Anyway, I really just wanted to let you all know that the film is definitely an ongoing concern and we will hopefully have news to share soon enough.

Now here's to another successful season for us all!

Cheers,
Keri

johnnytapia said:
paulchapo said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Bang on - this myth that footballers didn't get fantastic wages back in the 80s - utter bollocks. Moulden on 250 a week - nearly DOUBLE the national average. Let's not make the mistake of comparing the wages they get today with those of Lake, Redmond etc. It doesn't detract from the fact that footballers, after the lifting of the minimum wage have always been paid well in excess of the average man. Fact.

I'm afraid some of the comments on here about Lake seem to be made through blue-tinted spectacles. I watched nearly every home game he played for City and a good few aways. The idea that he was the next coming of Bobby Moore is laughable. Not one bid ever came in for him. Not one. There was all the bollocks about Souness going incognito in the North Stand, but, ultimately, it all came to nowt. The only big money move for any of those players was Paul Stewart. Lake had some good games, he'd play the odd blinder but, and this is a fact often overlooked, he plied the majority of his trade outside the top flight. I saw him play in all positions, from left back to centre half to midfield to up front - he was good. Not brilliant. And he suffered chronically from injuries. 3 games then 2 off, four then 3 off. So much talk of would have, could have, should have - and that's all it is - talk, misty eyed talk. As for it being a tragedy - never in a million fucking years. And that's fuck all to do with semantics. It's about knowing your way around the English language.

The only thing I can surmise from that load of cobblers is that you're not much of a judge when it comes to assessing football players

Keri Collins said:
Blue Streak said:
Some time back ago here on Bluemoon it was rumoured a film was being made regarding Paul Lakes tragic career. It seems to have gone a bit quiet recently and I just wondered if anybody had any ideas if this was still happening?

Hi all,
I'm the director of Lakey's film (and very long time BM reader!) so I thought I'd just say hello and let you know that the film is very much still happening. I'm currently writing the script (in very close liaison with Paul and Joanne) so we are still classed as 'in development', which is an annoyingly vague term that basically just means we're still getting the project off the ground.

A timeline for getting any film made is very much a case of how long's a piece of string, it could be a year, it could be five years; but based on the interest we've received, and discussions we've had so far, it is certainly looking good to happen at some point (which is no guarantee in British the film industry). However, as a lifelong blue to whom Lakey was my first hero I'll certainly never stop trying to get this film made!

I obviously can't say too much just yet but I can confirm it's going to be a drama and not a documentary - we believe it's an incredibly compelling story about a man whose dreams are taken away from him through no fault of his own.

I'm not going to get involved in the debate about Lakey as a player, or what constitutes tragedy, but I will just say this... They say you should never meet your heroes as they will only disappoint you, but I can honestly say that Paul Lake is the most genuine, humble, down to earth man I've ever met, and I'm sure anyone that has met Paul will say the same.

Through having the 'charmed life' of a professional footballer has suffered physical and emotional turmoil and that simply cannot be denied. I imagine most of you have, but for anyone that thinks Paul had it easy I really do respectfully suggest you read the book, because it does address almost everything that has been raised in this thread.

Anyway, I really just wanted to let you all know that the film is definitely an ongoing concern and we will hopefully have news to share soon enough.

Cheers,
Keri

Thanks for the update and best of luck with the film

Exeter Blue I am here said:
johnnytapia said:
paulchapo said:

The only thing I can surmise from that load of cobblers is that you're not much of a judge when it comes to assessing football players
And quite possibly a sociopath for good measure.

Keri Collins said:
Blue Streak said:

Hi all,

A timeline for getting any film made is very much a case of how long's a piece of string, it could be a year, it could be five years; but based on the interest we've received, and discussions we've had so far, it is certainly looking good to happen at some point (which is no guarantee in British the film industry). However, as a lifelong blue to whom Lakey was my first hero I'll certainly never stop trying to get this film made!

Through having the 'charmed life' of a professional footballer has suffered physical and emotional turmoil and that simply cannot be denied. I imagine most of you have, but for anyone that thinks Paul had it easy I really do respectfully suggest you read the book, because it does address almost everything that has been raised in this thread.

Cheers,
Keri

Thank you for updating us. I've met Lakey a couple of times at Mid Sussex Blues functions and, to borrow from Hugh Laurie, he is as you say an absolutely corking chap. City from the top of his head to the bottom of his boots, and humble with it. That assessment of him in no way influences my judgment of him as a player though. Good guy or complete twat, it makes no difference. If you couldn't (and still can't to judge from some of the comments on here) recognise his innate class as a footballer, then you can't be helped

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.