Lancaster Bomber on a bombing run radio chatter

Amazing how cool they were and fascinating to hear how much accents have changed. It must have been utterly terrifying to fly a Lancaster over Germany with the fighters and flak, yet the skipper sounded like a teacher on a field trip. Huge respect to all involved.

Amazing. My dad was a wireless opp in lancs...sends a shudder down me.

Apparently my grandad was also, alas he died before I was born. Grandma was also at Scampton, so I'm told. Had a good friend as a child though, and his gramps lived a few doors down from his house. He was a tail gunner in a Lanc, and captivated 10 year old me with tales. Gave me all kinds of books which I lapped up. Heroes, on both sides to be fair.

That typical British accent though, where did that go?

Edit:

Here's a longer recording of chatter..

Last edited:
Apparently my grandad was also, alas he died before I was born. Grandma was also at Scampton, so I'm told. Had a good friend as a child though, and his gramps lived a few doors down from his house. He was a tail gunner in a Lanc, and captivated 10 year old me with tales. Gave me all kinds of books which I lapped up. Heroes, on both sides to be fair.

That typical British accent though, where did that go?

Edit:

Here's a longer recording of chatter..

That was outstanding. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it.

I have had the good fortune to meet many RAF veterans who flew all manner of aircraft, as brave as the Lancaster crews were, they were flying a state of the art bomber that could take a great deal of punishment, and was far more maneuverable than most realise...you dont get to see that when the BBMF Lanc flys today, imagine those who were on operations in such things as Whitleys, Wellingtons, Stirlings, and even the Halifax, all obsolete and sitting ducks.

Those who were lucky enough to get on Mosquitos had the best of it as losses on that type were low....mind you they would be that thing was faster than anything else could fly low level high level was made of wood and had two spitfire engines to power it.

I have said to many veteran that I really dont know if I could have done what they did, the reaction is the same mostly, they say had you been there at the time you would have been no different to them, in one sense I am mighty relieved I wasnt....but just a little part of me wishes I had been.

Always makes me laugh when we call footballers heroes.....

I have had the good fortune to meet many RAF veterans who flew all manner of aircraft, as brave as the Lancaster crews were, they were flying a state of the art bomber that could take a great deal of punishment, and was far more maneuverable than most realise...you dont get to see that when the BBMF Lanc flys today, imagine those who were on operations in such things as Whitleys, Wellingtons, Stirlings, and even the Halifax, all obsolete and sitting ducks.

Those who were lucky enough to get on Mosquitos had the best of it as losses on that type were low....mind you they would be that thing was faster than anything else could fly low level high level was made of wood and had two spitfire engines to power it.

I have said to many veteran that I really dont know if I could have done what they did, the reaction is the same mostly, they say had you been there at the time you would have been no different to them, in one sense I am mighty relieved I wasnt....but just a little part of me wishes I had been.

Always makes me laugh when we call footballers heroes.....

Footballers aren't heroes they are entertainers. I LOVE football but I get the reality. These guys were making a paltry few £ for having people trying to kill them on a daily basis. Footballers make stupid money for playing a game.

These men are heroes. The young people of today could not accomplish what our grandfathers/fathers did in this war.

Mate sent me this in in email ages ago;

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one’s gate parking
location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following
exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206″:

Speedbird 206: “Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway.”

Ground: “Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven.”

The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.

Ground: “Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?”

Speedbird 206: “Stand by, Ground, I’m looking up our gate location now.”

Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): “Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?”

Speedbird 206 (coolly): “Yes, twice in 1944 — but I didn’t land.”

My mums cousin was a Spitfire pilot during the war and went on to become an airline pilot. I never met him though. I remember going to visit his family once when I was about 6 but he wasn't there. It was a huge disappointment to a young lad brought up on tales of the war.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.