Lancaster Bomber on a bombing run radio chatter

Today would have been my grandad’s 125th birthday. Sadly he perished at Auschwitz....

He fell out of the machine-gun turret.
Must have been terrifying! Strangely enough, I read a storyr recently about a young man who was a gunner in the ball turret. I believe it was on a B-17.

He never used to take a parachute into the turret with him because even though he was small in stature he felt it made the turret too cramped. On one raid he saw a turret gunner from another bomber go plummeting by without a parachute.

The man said from then on he took one into the ball turret. He didn't know if he'd have time to properly attach it to himself but he at least wanted the opportunity to try.

Apparently my grandad was also, alas he died before I was born. Grandma was also at Scampton, so I'm told. Had a good friend as a child though, and his gramps lived a few doors down from his house. He was a tail gunner in a Lanc, and captivated 10 year old me with tales. Gave me all kinds of books which I lapped up. Heroes, on both sides to be fair.

That typical British accent though, where did that go?

Edit:

Here's a longer recording of chatter..

Flak all around them:
"You could light your fag on one of those."
Heroes.

My uncle and his crew the pilot was Jamaican...all killed coming back from a bombing raid in the Rhur valley...they were shot down in a Wellington bomber by a night fighter over Holland ...him and his crew all buried together In Amerfoort.

Attachments

• 12726108_fe321a2a-9748-4ca7-8a5c-6b7a7be0f8e8 (1).jpeg
    12726108_fe321a2a-9748-4ca7-8a5c-6b7a7be0f8e8 (1).jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.