Lancaster Bomber on a bombing run radio chatter

Last night before bed, I was on YouTube and happened upon the audio from the original post in this topic. As I very much enjoy it, I had it a listen again.

For some reason, I decided to read the comment section. A man posted that it was his father who had worked for the BBC and made the recording on the bombing run.

This, of course, sparked arguments as to whether it is a real recording and some posters called the man a liar whilst others told those individuals to GFY.

Then, much to my delight, someone posted this to support the man who said it was his dad who did the recording on the mission. It's approximately an hour long. I listened as I fell asleep so I'll have to go back and listen to the last half but, if you enjoy history, I believe you will enjoy it.

Last edited:

Interesting read:​

Dispatch from Berlin, 1943​

The story of five journalists who risked everything​

Anthony Cooper, with Thorsten Perl

In December 1943, five courageous correspondents join a British air raid on Berlin. They are Australians, Alf King from the Sydney Morning Herald and Norm Stockton from the Sydney Sun; Americans, Ed Murrow from CBS and Lowell Bennett from the International News Service; and Norwegian journalist and activist, Nordahl Grieg. Each is assigned to one of the 400 Lancaster bombers that fly into the hazardous skies over Germany on a single night. Of the five, only two land back at base to file their stories.

After parachuting out of his doomed aircraft, one reporter is taken prisoner. From there his captors take him on a remarkable tour of bombed-out German cities.

In Dispatch from Berlin, 1943, Anthony Cooper and Thorsten Perl uncover this incredible true story of life on both sides of the war.

Lancaster flew over the house I live in on Sunday: Beautiful sound.

Interesting read:​

Dispatch from Berlin, 1943​

The story of five journalists who risked everything​

Anthony Cooper, with Thorsten Perl

In December 1943, five courageous correspondents join a British air raid on Berlin. They are Australians, Alf King from the Sydney Morning Herald and Norm Stockton from the Sydney Sun; Americans, Ed Murrow from CBS and Lowell Bennett from the International News Service; and Norwegian journalist and activist, Nordahl Grieg. Each is assigned to one of the 400 Lancaster bombers that fly into the hazardous skies over Germany on a single night. Of the five, only two land back at base to file their stories.

After parachuting out of his doomed aircraft, one reporter is taken prisoner. From there his captors take him on a remarkable tour of bombed-out German cities.

In Dispatch from Berlin, 1943, Anthony Cooper and Thorsten Perl uncover this incredible true story of life on both sides of the war.

Lancaster flew over the house I live in on Sunday: Beautiful sound.
Interesting they took him on a tour of bombed out cities. The BBC story I started listening last night made mention in 1943 how Berlin was in very good condition compared to other European cities, especially London.

A German, who I believe was eleven years old in 1943, was interviewed and she said she, and her mother, would go to cafés for lunch and it was like there wasn't a war happening. Did the captors not think other cities in Europe had been destroyed or partially destroyed? And by them, no less. I suppose it was merely a propaganda tour.

Into the Blue is a great documentary. It's not Lancasters, but B17's of the Mighty Eighth.

Today would have been my grandad’s 125th birthday. Sadly he perished at Auschwitz....

He fell out of the machine-gun turret.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.