Landlords and tenants thread

Some will be better to advise than me but I believe that if you don't put the deposit into he deposit scheme, the tenant can claim back every penny they have paid in rent.
I'd see if you can persuade her to go now by waiving the money owed and chucking her a few quid to get her set up in her new place.
If you take the landlord to court for repayment of the deposit you can be awarded up to 3 times the amounts plus the £300 or so fee - however I'm doubtful that as the deposit has been repaid that this can be done.

If you can prove a landlord has committed an offence, to a criminal burden of proof, you can get up to a year's rent back. It is difficult to prove, however some cases like not having a licence for a HMO it can be more straight forward, but not securing the deposit wouldn't be relevant.

As a landlord myself(basing my retirement income on it till my state pension kicks in) I hear of lots of bad experiences from others I know (landlords and tenants). The fact is, renting is a serious business, and should only be done if you are serious about it.

We have been doing it for about 12 years now with a number of properties and havnt had much trouble at all, but we do stick to our own formula, as even the letting agents can seem complacent about the condition of property for rent. I have listed some of the main issues worth considering from our experience........

Be prepared to spend before you can let your property, you will need insurance, a gas safety cert, an eicr(electrical installation condition reort), fire/smoke alarms and an energy performance cert. All those are the minimum requirement, and legislation is changing all the time.

Present your property for rental in a condition that you would be happy to live in yourself, you will find that your tenant will respect something that is well presented and clean, after all it is their home for a while.

As above, remember it is their home during the rental period, they are paying you, you are providing a service to them, and if they are happy, they will stay, and that will minimis
Made this thread to share experiences from landlords and tenants, maybe people can get help if required as well.

We are landlords, but it's only for the first small house that we bought as a couple when we got married. We grew out of it and managed to borrow money and get another house, so put this on rent. My wife dealt with it all but she had no experience and didn't really bother reading up on it (massive mistake) and she found a woman who wanted a long term rental. She was on benefits but we were just happy that a family would be living there.
The deposit was put into a savings account instead of being put into a scheme (stupid) and we didn't have any of the certificates either (stupider). Everything went fine for a year or so until her benefits changed and she said she couldn't afford to live there. She asked us to evict her so she could get a council house, on her request we gave her a section 21 but it was rejected due to the above, obviously.
She then had a benefits completely stopped. Later to find out she should have been claiming Universal Credit, so we lost over 2 months of rent. Due to this, we agreed to speak to UC and get the payments sent direct to us, but they are unable to pay her arrears as she has other out goings that are more important. She has a job but now refuses to answer texts or calls about the money she owes, doesn't want to make any formal arrangements to pay and just says she will if she can. She wants to move out but has put it all on us.
She then went out of her way and got a section 239 against us for disrepair (which i will be going to visit today with the inspector, even though i know and he knows there is just normal wear and tear) but didn't both telling me she had spoken to them.
She agreed with us that we would give her the deposit for the property back, and she would return this to go against her arrears but then just kept the money and spent it, without any discussion or contact. So now we have a tenant who doesn't want to communicate, has 2 months arrears and no deposit. I have got the gas cert done, planning to have electric and EPC done this week but due to Covid it will take at least 6 months to evict her.

I suppose you get all sorts of people and live and learn, we made some big mistakes and most likely we will lose money due to it, but lesson's learnt and we'll probably try and sell as it's not worth the hassle.

e periods between tenants.

There are loads of reasons to rent, short term employment in the area/between house purchases etc, renters are not the dregs of society, they are people wanting to rent.

Always use an agent to find and vet/check prospective tenants and draw up tenancy agreements, sticking an add in the local newsagent window is a massive risk, even if you think it may save money. It will more likely cost you in the end.Also a tenant willing to go to a letting agent to find a property is genuine too.

When you have a tenant, welcome them by leaving a bottle of wine and a card with a nice message, they will instantly think you are ok even though they probably havnt met you yet. Ensure that they know to organise the utilities etc in their name from the correct date and any other things like contact details in case of emergencies etc.

Remember, when you receive the deposit, you must forward it to the dps(deposit protection service) they will hold the deposit and act as arbitration in any disagreements concerning it. This doesnt cost anything and neither you, or the tenant can access the deposit without both agreeing.

Have a team of tradesmen you can call on for emergencies if you are managing the property yourself, and make sure to fix any issues asap, dont ignore them. Remember its easier to carry out repairs etc between tenants than wait till a property is rented.

By following this criteria we had a run of 216 consecutive months of rent spread between our properties until a change over in one last october. Like most things in life, what you put in reflects what you get out.

There are loads of websites that can give you all the official requirements etc, but I hope the above gives you some insight from a fellow bluemooner who is genuinly active in the subject.

I hope you can sort your issues soon and maybe wipe the slate clean and start again, because if done right, everybody involved can be happy.

I've rented for the last 8 years, first in a flat and now in a house. We've always gone through letting agencies, which has mainly been great. I feel like I've had flexible landlords, allowing us to redecorate or allow furniture to be put into storage etc. I know I've fell lucky and we love the house we're in now.

Just a question for landlords, if a current tenant made an offer to buy the property, would you consider it or would it be dismissed as you prefer keeping it as a long term investment?
The house we live in has only had one owner and they bought it in 2006. We're thinking of approaching them with an offer next year if we can. It should turn out to be a seamless transaction for both sides.

Some will be better to advise than me but I believe that if you don't put the deposit into he deposit scheme, the tenant can claim back every penny they have paid in rent.
I'd see if you can persuade her to go now by waiving the money owed and chucking her a few quid to get her set up in her new place.
Pretty impossible tbfh mate, she just seems to spend anything that she has and tells me she has no money for a new house. So i'd need ot pay her deposit and first months rent in a new place. She has her deposit now and i've had her sign a document (today) to say that it's been paid back in full to her.

As a landlord myself(basing my retirement income on it till my state pension kicks in) I hear of lots of bad experiences from others I know (landlords and tenants). The fact is, renting is a serious business, and should only be done if you are serious about it.

We have been doing it for about 12 years now with a number of properties and havnt had much trouble at all, but we do stick to our own formula, as even the letting agents can seem complacent about the condition of property for rent. I have listed some of the main issues worth considering from our experience........

Be prepared to spend before you can let your property, you will need insurance, a gas safety cert, an eicr(electrical installation condition reort), fire/smoke alarms and an energy performance cert. All those are the minimum requirement, and legislation is changing all the time.

Present your property for rental in a condition that you would be happy to live in yourself, you will find that your tenant will respect something that is well presented and clean, after all it is their home for a while.

As above, remember it is their home during the rental period, they are paying you, you are providing a service to them, and if they are happy, they will stay, and that will minimis

e periods between tenants.

There are loads of reasons to rent, short term employment in the area/between house purchases etc, renters are not the dregs of society, they are people wanting to rent.

Always use an agent to find and vet/check prospective tenants and draw up tenancy agreements, sticking an add in the local newsagent window is a massive risk, even if you think it may save money. It will more likely cost you in the end.Also a tenant willing to go to a letting agent to find a property is genuine too.

When you have a tenant, welcome them by leaving a bottle of wine and a card with a nice message, they will instantly think you are ok even though they probably havnt met you yet. Ensure that they know to organise the utilities etc in their name from the correct date and any other things like contact details in case of emergencies etc.

Remember, when you receive the deposit, you must forward it to the dps(deposit protection service) they will hold the deposit and act as arbitration in any disagreements concerning it. This doesnt cost anything and neither you, or the tenant can access the deposit without both agreeing.

Have a team of tradesmen you can call on for emergencies if you are managing the property yourself, and make sure to fix any issues asap, dont ignore them. Remember its easier to carry out repairs etc between tenants than wait till a property is rented.

By following this criteria we had a run of 216 consecutive months of rent spread between our properties until a change over in one last october. Like most things in life, what you put in reflects what you get out.

There are loads of websites that can give you all the official requirements etc, but I hope the above gives you some insight from a fellow bluemooner who is genuinly active in the subject.

I hope you can sort your issues soon and maybe wipe the slate clean and start again, because if done right, everybody involved can be happy.
Thanks mate, we didn't really take it that serious as we weren't really doing it as a business or an earner. It was just to pay the mortgage and that we'd rather not sell it. But we've learnt sharp-ish that you can get yourself in deep shit if you don't bother doing the basic things that HAVE to be done. The other things, i think i can safely say i have done (except wine as i don't drink and have no idea about it). The house was in good condition, there were minor things that needed doing but we had a huge amount of interest in it due to the condition. I don't think we ever caused any issues and a couple times where there was an issue with the boiler, i had someone out the following morning on an emergency basis. I guess it takes all sorts of people for the world to keep moving, but you can mitigate it by following the criteria that you guys have..

I've rented for the last 8 years, first in a flat and now in a house. We've always gone through letting agencies, which has mainly been great. I feel like I've had flexible landlords, allowing us to redecorate or allow furniture to be put into storage etc. I know I've fell lucky and we love the house we're in now.

Just a question for landlords, if a current tenant made an offer to buy the property, would you consider it or would it be dismissed as you prefer keeping it as a long term investment?
The house we live in has only had one owner and they bought it in 2006. We're thinking of approaching them with an offer next year if we can. It should turn out to be a seamless transaction for both sides.
Yeah, we told her on the day she moved in that we wanted her to treat this as her own home and to decorate and make it a home (within reason) that she loves. I refuse to believe that being a **** would have improved this situation, but what can you do..

I suppose it really depends on the landlord and why they have the house. Our long term for this property was to get the mortgage paid off and either gift it to the kids, or sell it and give them the money so they have something to help them get their own houses. I guess you need to gauge what your landlord is like, but contacting them and discussing it wouldn't help IMO. Especially given the current climate.

Sounds like yours is an example of how renting can be a success for all concerned.

With regard to your question about buying, I would say go for it, but suspect it will depend on your landlords circumstances regarding that property, are they professional landlords,is it mortgaged, are they waiting to sell upon retirement etc.

Personally I would look at any offers for mine and would probably be happy that a tenant feels that way about it, but ultimately it would have to suit in a financial way.

I may have read somewher about a proposed discount scheme for tenants buying(like they did in council houses) but cant see how they could force it in the private sector, but good luck and hope it comes off. Maybe you could keep us posted in this thread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.