Landlords and tenants thread

Well a landlord ain’t going to change the bathroom suite just cos a tenant doesn’t like the colour avocado...
It’s a lot less than changing the suite, just needs some new tiles and a new floor (which is only vinyl tiles)

I rent.

Because of lockdown, I’m absolutely sick of the sight of the flat. Mainly because the decor is outdated. I would like to give the place a good lick of paint, and the bathroom could do with some redecoration.

Would a landlord let me do that or would he have to sort it out (and not do it if he didn’t want to)?
He would do if there was a large but controlable fire in the premises.

I rent.

Because of lockdown, I’m absolutely sick of the sight of the flat. Mainly because the decor is outdated. I would like to give the place a good lick of paint, and the bathroom could do with some redecoration.

Would a landlord let me do that or would he have to sort it out (and not do it if he didn’t want to)?
It can't hurt to ask him? Presuming you've been there a while and you've given him no issues he should want to keep you in the flat rather than have to search for a new tenant, so he's got a stake in keeping you reasonably happy.

According to the advice from Shelter (https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/making_improvements_to_your_rented_home) "You don't usually need your landlord's permission to decorate your home but you'll probably have to pay for the materials." It sounds to me you should just write to him setting out what you want to do and ask for his agreement. Framing it as a reasonable request (which it obviously is) rather than you begging for a favour, would probably help I think. Hopefully he'll agree to repaint at least.

I rent.

You've got a good chance of them letting you redecorate, definitely ask first though. Think they'll just say don't go overboard with the colours and keep it fairly neutral. We've had it where we asked for new carpets and we split the cost. They're getting new carpets for their property at a knockdown price, so turned out win win for both sides.

You've got a good chance of them letting you redecorate, definitely ask first though. Think they'll just say don't go overboard with the colours and keep it fairly neutral. We've had it where we asked for new carpets and we split the cost. They're getting new carpets for their property at a knockdown price, so turned out win win for both sides.
We had a gay couple in one of our flats on Salford Quays years ago that asked us the same question...we'd only just done it ready for rental but agreed. I'm no interior designer but it was brilliant, they'd even got on their knees and hand polished the wooden floor.

I rent.

Any colour you like........as long as its maggie and white.

I've worked in socal housing 25 years and I also rent a property out.....nothing like giving people keys to a new home and changing thier life for better. I have been homeless, rented and own property. There is not much I have not done or seen over the years....bad tenants and worse landlords...but most landlords and the vast majority of tenants are really decent people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.