Landlords and tenants thread

Thanks mate, we didn't really take it that serious as we weren't really doing it as a business or an earner. It was just to pay the mortgage and that we'd rather not sell it. But we've learnt sharp-ish that you can get yourself in deep shit if you don't bother doing the basic things that HAVE to be done. The other things, i think i can safely say i have done (except wine as i don't drink and have no idea about it). The house was in good condition, there were minor things that needed doing but we had a huge amount of interest in it due to the condition. I don't think we ever caused any issues and a couple times where there was an issue with the boiler, i had someone out the following morning on an emergency basis. I guess it takes all sorts of people for the world to keep moving, but you can mitigate it by following the criteria that you guys have..
Either way, hope it all works out.

Yep, massive lesson learnt and we got ourselves in the situation by not doing that. Funnily enough i was speaking to this housing inspector who she rang to inspect the property, and he told me not to worry too much and get all the certs sorted and evict her. He reckons she is playing games to get her more points to get a council house, but i won't be helping her in anyway.
Always serve a section 21 notice at the same time as signing the letting agreement. If they turn out to be cunts it's a lot easier to kick them out later.

Yep i have heard similar stories, but also for dickhead landlords who just completely ignore tenants. That's why i thought being nice and fair might get you somewhere, i've had no arguments at all with her and have tried to be as reasonable as possible, especially given the current situation.
I think the only way you are getting her out is with recourse to the courts but this is also not so straightforward and can be costly. Might be worth it in the long run though.
If you want to keep the property as an investment you will have to get up to speed on the compliance front as it's a nightmare.
Putting the property in trust for kids might be a way of mitigating CGT, if it's an option.

No DSS, regardless of circumstances, it's as simple as that and you hold those cards. You've been burnt badly and unfortunately won't ever receive the lost money, just try and get her out of there ASAP as amicably as possible, and use this as a tough life lesson going forward.

Being the nice guy hasn't worked out. Hope it gets sorted and you both get a better class of tenant next time around.

Not 100% sure, but I think there was legislation brought in recently to make this illegal to advertising no DSS etc

we rent out 2 properties, we do it through an agent and that I will recommend. Every time we get a new tenant we tell them that the rent will not increase for their time renting however long, if they keep the place in good order. in 10 years we have, so far, never had a problem. We get things fixed very quickly if needed, I guess we are good landlords ?

Sounds like yours is an example of how renting can be a success for all concerned.

With regard to your question about buying, I would say go for it, but suspect it will depend on your landlords circumstances regarding that property, are they professional landlords,is it mortgaged, are they waiting to sell upon retirement etc.

Personally I would look at any offers for mine and would probably be happy that a tenant feels that way about it, but ultimately it would have to suit in a financial way.

I may have read somewher about a proposed discount scheme for tenants buying(like they did in council houses) but cant see how they could force it in the private sector, but good luck and hope it comes off. Maybe you could keep us posted in this thread.
It was a proposed labour policy before the last election. Would never have worked as it would incentivise the landlord evicting the tenant before they qualified by any means possible.

I've rented for the last 8 years, first in a flat and now in a house. We've always gone through letting agencies, which has mainly been great. I feel like I've had flexible landlords, allowing us to redecorate or allow furniture to be put into storage etc. I know I've fell lucky and we love the house we're in now.

Just a question for landlords, if a current tenant made an offer to buy the property, would you consider it or would it be dismissed as you prefer keeping it as a long term investment?
The house we live in has only had one owner and they bought it in 2006. We're thinking of approaching them with an offer next year if we can. It should turn out to be a seamless transaction for both sides.
I wouldn’t. After all taxes and commitments I clear an annual 6% return on my investment.

Yeah, we told her on the day she moved in that we wanted her to treat this as her own home and to decorate and make it a home (within reason) that she loves. I refuse to believe that being a **** would have improved this situation, but what can you do..

I suppose it really depends on the landlord and why they have the house. Our long term for this property was to get the mortgage paid off and either gift it to the kids, or sell it and give them the money so they have something to help them get their own houses. I guess you need to gauge what your landlord is like, but contacting them and discussing it wouldn't help IMO. Especially given the current climate.
Take advice on your plans. You could land yourself with a big capital gains tax bill gifting the house to the kids. It will be taxed as if you sold it at market value.

I rent.

Because of lockdown, I’m absolutely sick of the sight of the flat. Mainly because the decor is outdated. I would like to give the place a good lick of paint, and the bathroom could do with some redecoration.

Would a landlord let me do that or would he have to sort it out (and not do it if he didn’t want to)?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.