Last Film You Saw

I got round to watching the Irishman last week. With a cast including Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel , Martin Scorsese in the director's chair there was a lot to live up to.

One of the main selling points of the film was that using an innovative triple lens system allowed SFX recreations of Pacino, De Niro and Pesci as they aged over a 40 odd year period in this epic crime drama. The effects allowed the 3 actors to be de-aged without motion capture 'gimp suits' that Andy Serkis used in LOTR/Planet of the Apes etc.

The main character is De Niro who works for Pesci's Mob boss and befriends Pacino's corrupt union official Jimmy Hoffa. De Niro gives a very measured performance as the mob enforcer trying to steer Pacino's increasingly unhinged Hoffa. Both guys are superb but for me the real revelation is Pesci as the arch manipulator in a devastatingly controlled performance. Apparently Pesci had to be talked into doing this film and rather has the look of Keitel's older brother. Whatever, he is the standout in this 3h30 film.

All good yes? Not quite I think. It's the de-aging process I don't think its entirely successful. When the 3 leads are supposed to look younger they just look as jowly as the do presently but with darker/more hair. Maybe I'm just being utterly pedantic but ...... I know what these actors looked like when they were younger. Take Pacino - young and baby faced in Godfather 2, rather hirsute in Serpico, lined and bonkers in Scarface older in Godfather 3 and Carlito's Way etc. The recreation of a younger Pacino doesn't hold true. I think its exactly the same for De Niro as we're familiar with again how he's aged on screen. Pesci fares the best for me but maybe because his body of work is less than the other two.

In spite of that quibble the Irishman is still a great film, on a par with other gangster epics. I've not mentioned any other actors as no one else really gets much screen time. The great strength of the film is the power of the characters relationships . See what you think.

Was a bit stoned last night so stuck the new Bill and Ted film on.

There's not enough weed in the world to make that fucking mess of a film funny.

I watched it.
Phoenix is very good, but generally it seemed to be an origin story that has no purpose or place, as it's a Joker that I can't see being followed up on.
It's almost glorifying a mad murderer who has no redeeming feature or real cause. Just thought 'why' at the end.
That’s almost exactly what I thought. Very dubious message to it.

Can I ask what message you guys took away from the film, out of interest?

I got round to watching the Irishman last week. With a cast including Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel , Martin Scorsese in the director's chair there was a lot to live up to.

One of the main selling points of the film was that using an innovative triple lens system allowed SFX recreations of Pacino, De Niro and Pesci as they aged over a 40 odd year period in this epic crime drama. The effects allowed the 3 actors to be de-aged without motion capture 'gimp suits' that Andy Serkis used in LOTR/Planet of the Apes etc.

The main character is De Niro who works for Pesci's Mob boss and befriends Pacino's corrupt union official Jimmy Hoffa. De Niro gives a very measured performance as the mob enforcer trying to steer Pacino's increasingly unhinged Hoffa. Both guys are superb but for me the real revelation is Pesci as the arch manipulator in a devastatingly controlled performance. Apparently Pesci had to be talked into doing this film and rather has the look of Keitel's older brother. Whatever, he is the standout in this 3h30 film.

All good yes? Not quite I think. It's the de-aging process I don't think its entirely successful. When the 3 leads are supposed to look younger they just look as jowly as the do presently but with darker/more hair. Maybe I'm just being utterly pedantic but ...... I know what these actors looked like when they were younger. Take Pacino - young and baby faced in Godfather 2, rather hirsute in Serpico, lined and bonkers in Scarface older in Godfather 3 and Carlito's Way etc. The recreation of a younger Pacino doesn't hold true. I think its exactly the same for De Niro as we're familiar with again how he's aged on screen. Pesci fares the best for me but maybe because his body of work is less than the other two.

In spite of that quibble the Irishman is still a great film, on a par with other gangster epics. I've not mentioned any other actors as no one else really gets much screen time. The great strength of the film is the power of the characters relationships . See what you think.
Good review, I agree with everything you say except the ageing thing I thought it worked very well.
It got some bad reviews on here when it came out, I seem to be one of the very few who thought it was fantastic.

Just watched The ballad of Buster Scruggs.
I'm a big fan of all the Coen brothers films but somehow I forgot about this one.
I saw it was on Netflix so watched it.
Absolutely brilliant loved every minute.

I just watched the film Crawl. It was about a girl saving her dad during a hurricane. It was like Jaws, but in your house, and with Aligators instead of a shark. Big Aligators, loads of minor cast members being savaged and well, that's about it. The girl gets her leg bitten and threw about, then her arm gets chewed, then her dad gets his arm bitten off, but, being the stars they survived. All the gators were about 14 feet. They are very hungry. I miss Jaws. But not in my house and those gators can fuck off. 5/10

It still amazes be that people didn't understand Inception. Clearly it wasn't straightforward, but i watched it twice at the cinema because it was amazing, not because it confusing. Great film.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.