Last Film You Saw

In Bruges. Not very PC but good fun

Incredible film. The scene towards the end with
Brendan Gleeson's brutal death
still haunts me, and I watched it months ago.

Last night I watched The Big Lebowski for the first time. I expected to love it, but if I'm honest, Jeff Bridges was the only thing I really liked about the movie. It's a 3* film for me.

Don't want to start a new thread for this - what's the best film performance by an actor you've ever seen?

Because I insist on Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

Don't want to start a new thread for this - what's the best film performance by an actor you've ever seen?

It's Gonna be a brave guy who tries to dispute that. One flew over was another masterclass, in his own league, though I thought Gary Oldman was terrific in Leon, that's up there for me

Hmmm..debatable of course..

Brando in On The Waterfront, The Godfather
De Niro in taxi Driver, Raging Bull
Bogart, The African Queen, Casablanca
Jimmy Stewart, The Philadelphia Story, Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Gregory Peck, To Kill A Mocking Bird, A Town Like Alice
Alec Guinness, Bridge Over The River Kwai
Gary Cooper, High Noon

There's loads of contenders.. I like Sean Penn in Mystic River.

The new evil dead. 2/10

They over did it. What made the old evil dead movies work was the eerie feeling of being isolated in a place far away from society and the psychological effect that fucked up situation puts you in, not some human meat monster or some ridiculous jump scares. This installment just had gallons of blood and unlikeable characters. Had to skip through it.

The new evil dead. 2/10

They over did it. What made the old evil dead movies work was the eerie feeling of being isolated in a place far away from society and the psychological effect that fucked up situation puts you in, not some human meat monster or some ridiculous jump scares. This installment just had gallons of blood and unlikeable characters. Had to skip through it.
Yep, watched it last night - just trying too hard with the blood and gore weren't they?

The new evil dead. 2/10

Agreed. Watched that the other day. No spoilers, but I thought the opening five minutes were better than the entire rest of the film.

I remember watching the first Evil Dead when I was pretty young and am still haunted to this day by some of the Deadite scenes. This new one just felt like a big gorey mess, like they were going more for shock value and "trailer moments" rather than actually building any sort of tension or fright. And some of the dialogue was absolutely dreadful, especially from the little girl.

Watched a couple of other new horrors lately in Renfield and Pope's Exorcist.

Renfield - 4/10 - I thought Hoult was alright. Channelled a bit of old-school Hugh Grant. There was some funny dialogue here and there, and I chuckled at some of the Samurai-style blood gushing, but it made the massive error of not making the most of Nic Cage (who I adore). A bunch of films lately have made the same mistake, especially Willy's Wonderland, in which Cage has no dialogue whatsoever. This wasn't as bad as that, but he was still really underused.

Pope's Exorcist - 6/10 - Pretty fun, Conjuring-lite horror. The little boy is a bit cringey but Crowe's performance keeps it all ticking along. Quite looking forward to seeing a sequel to see where they take it next.

Agreed. Watched that the other day. No spoilers, but I thought the opening five minutes were better than the entire rest of the film.

I remember watching the first Evil Dead when I was pretty young and am still haunted to this day by some of the Deadite scenes. This new one just felt like a big gorey mess, like they were going more for shock value and "trailer moments" rather than actually building any sort of tension or fright. And some of the dialogue was absolutely dreadful, especially from the little girl.

Watched a couple of other new horrors lately in Renfield and Pope's Exorcist.

Renfield - 4/10 - I thought Hoult was alright. Channelled a bit of old-school Hugh Grant. There was some funny dialogue here and there, and I chuckled at some of the Samurai-style blood gushing, but it made the massive error of not making the most of Nic Cage (who I adore). A bunch of films lately have made the same mistake, especially Willy's Wonderland, in which Cage has no dialogue whatsoever. This wasn't as bad as that, but he was still really underused.

Pope's Exorcist - 6/10 - Pretty fun, Conjuring-lite horror. The little boy is a bit cringey but Crowe's performance keeps it all ticking along. Quite looking forward to seeing a sequel to see where they take it next.
Yeah that's what put me off from the movie. The kids a good actor but seems he was told to over do it and the voice thing didn't help

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.