Last Film You Saw

Just restarted watching classic Universal horror films yet again. The big stand outs so far are Frankenstein (1931) and The Mummy (1932). No coincidence that they both star Boris Karloff, just a master in understatement and probably the Andy Serkis of his day with some amazing make up jobs.

Something that has really dated, mainly for the acting, is Dracula. Bela Lugosi is well over the top, watching it now. Nic Cage was certainly channelling that version in Renfield!

Werewolf of London was a lot sillier than I remember, he puts on a hat, scarf and cape as he's transforming, ffs! She wolf of London is all over the place too.

As for the background artistes, let's just say Dick van dyke didn't invent bad cockney accents!

Two British stars who became huge with these films, Karloff and Claude Rains came from really poverty stricken backgrounds, as did James Whale who directed Frankenstein. Anyway really looking forward to my favourite The Wolfman and all the various monster mashups.

Napoleon

I do like Pheonix and seeing the trailers I had high hopes. Sadly I was a rather underwhelmed. Visually all well and good with some great battle scenes. It lacked in substance, not enough character development and too much focus on the relationship with Josephine.

The Killer

Watchable but it's no Zodiac.

Behind Le Samourai and Day of the Jackal in the hitman mini-league, despite inclusion of hi tech gadgetry here and there to appeal to the modern viewer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.