Last Film You Saw

One of his weakest movies and I am not sure there is any message to it. But compress it to a few minutes of those scenes with Jesse Plemons and it is worth ploughing through just because of it.
But is doesn't save the movie, the hommage to Apocalypse Now is silly and from there to the very ending it is getting more and more preposterous.

Very interesting post. I had problems with the film and understand your reservations (I don't rate Kirsten Dunst as much of an actress, for example). But I think if the movie had a message, it might have been to to do with the manner in which the media and the camera in particular turn us into passive voyeurs.

So it didn't make me think of Apocalypse Now (Civil War lacks a Kurtz) and the Dennis Hopper character so much as the photographer in Antonioni's Blow Up.

Would be interested to know what real life war correspondents/photo journalists made of it.

The one I know best is the veteran Middle East correspondent Robert Fisk, who is no longer with us. He was an avowed pacifist who claimed that we all would be if the TV channels showed what he had seen up close and personal.

Here's an example of his writing from his book Pity The Nation about the Lebanese Civil War. It describes the immediate aftermath of the Sabra & Shatila Massacre. Be warned - it's very graphic.

Reading it didn't make me pro-Palestinian. But it did make me realize that the IDF reside in exactly the same moral sewer as the PLO, Hamas, Islamic Jihad et al.

Those scenes with Jesse Plemons, by the way. It's worth seeing just for those.

It seems a natural progression and expression of many of the directors previouse films tbf, the john wick series, violent night, deadpool 2 and bullet train to name a few plus as an ex stuntman sure he said it his his love letter to the profession

As a fan of the original series, though for a FOC like me isn't as good because what ever is, but it's aimed at a modern cinema audience

It's a popcorn movie akin to 80s stuff and not serious, much like roger moores bond run (something it alludes to), miami vice and others, however they do have to throw in a romancing the stone type love story in too, you switch off sensibility and either enjoy it or don't, doubt it is trying to be anything more.

I didn't mind it but doubt I would rewatch it
Hooper was better

Ajax great visuals and sound but I don’t buy into JLo as a action hero and don’t think she’s a good actress anyway although her derrière is a sight to behold in the last scene 4/10
The Accountant Mr JLo in BC an excellent film I’ve not seen for years with sone great twists 6.5/10
Boy Kills World absolutely mental film, didn’t know much about it but bloody brilliant with some fantastic fight scenes reminiscent of The Raid 8/10

All 3 of the new Planet of the Apes (again), and then the 70's originals - not going to try and compare them as some seem to, but the originals definitely lose their way (although there are plenty of nods to them in the reboots).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.