Last Film You Saw

I had a think about what you said and I understand where you're coming from.

This is what I'll say about it; cinema is reflective (as a rule) of society with Disasters (can happen any time) Westerns being the outlier.

I think in today's popular cinema/ Hollywood, they are looking for ways to attractive the next gen of seat occupiers and that's 'Gen Z' who are SUPER diverse and split in the general interest. They're, also, short form in concentration and need something to catch the attention.

I think this is why the storylines are shallow now and make little sense, all subbed for types of representation that can be identified.

I think this why I've found myself gravitating much more to the cinema production of A24 studios, who lead with storyline content first.

There are loads of great directors out there making great movies independently. Sean Baker, Jonathan Glazer, Ti West, Karyn Kusama, Issa Lopez, to name some of my favourites. The issue is finding their work on a big screen - it’s getting harder and harder for small distributors to get film screened outside of a few art houses. At the risk of sounding like a FOC, when I started going to my local flea pit in earnest in the early 80s only the really big blockbusters did the full Friday to Thursday run. If you wanted to see The Toolbox Murders you’d have 3 days to catch it (on a double bill) before the next three day booking turned up.multiplexes have completely changed that, as has digital prints ( I once saw a double bill of Superstition and the Orchard End Murder and the former print was so knackered from doing the rounds that the projectionist just gave up trying to spool it and ended the screening without showing the last reel). Last time I dragged myself to our local soulless Odeon, it had some Marvel outing showing on 3 screens - not much of a surprise given it probably had to make £300 million just to break even.

There are loads of great directors out there making great movies independently. Sean Baker, Jonathan Glazer, Ti West, Karyn Kusama, Issa Lopez, to name some of my favourites. The issue is finding their work on a big screen - it’s getting harder and harder for small distributors to get film screened outside of a few art houses. At the risk of sounding like a FOC, when I started going to my local flea pit in earnest in the early 80s only the really big blockbusters did the full Friday to Thursday run. If you wanted to see The Toolbox Murders you’d have 3 days to catch it (on a double bill) before the next three day booking turned up.multiplexes have completely changed that, as has digital prints ( I once saw a double bill of Superstition and the Orchard End Murder and the former print was so knackered from doing the rounds that the projectionist just gave up trying to spool it and ended the screening without showing the last reel). Last time I dragged myself to our local soulless Odeon, it had some Marvel outing showing on 3 screens - not much of a surprise given it probably had to make £300 million just to break even.

Yes, most independent films are far too niche to make any kind of impact nowadays.

In fact, the directors mentioned and many like them, make great indie films with the hope of catching the eye of some great colossus company, many some mils or hope to get in the franchise game.

Ironically, the advent of AI might restore the great filmmaking indie venture that people want to see.

2 films into the nolan batman trilogy
good films so far
finding bale a bit wooden tbh not sure if its intentional
heath ledger is superb in playing the unhinged joker on a par with joaquin phoenix's version
looking forward to the 3rd instalment

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.