Last Film You Saw

We saw Beetlejuice Beetlejuice last night. What a mess of a film - but I still enjoyed it.

Keaton is still incredibly good in the role despite pushing 75 now, but Catherine O'Hara steals the film IMO - her delivery is brilliant throughout. Almost all the comedy comes from the two of them.

Plenty of typical Tim Burton weirdness, and the new cast additions - mostly Jenna Ortega and Willem Dafoe - are great, but I thought there were way too many plotlines and not enough time (it's very short for a blockbuster at about 1hr45) to explore them all properly.

As a fan of the original and a huge fan of the musical, I had feared that this would be awful - and it definitely isn't awful, but it's still a bit messy in a way that only Burton can produce. Wish it had been longer. Three stars for me.
Can't believe Keaton is 73, watched it 1 night ago, very 'thrown together' I thought but there's worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Strange Darling (2024)
Sauce: Cinema release date 20th Sept (UK)

Plot: A one night stand spiral's into a serial killer's vicious murder spree.

rTwAh2t.jpeg

Imagine chucking the following film/styles into a blender, 70's grindhouse horror like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 80's Lynch & DePalma, 90's peak Tarantino, 2000's Nolan Memento and the 2010's new French extremities like High Tension & Saulnier's Green Room. Add a splash of modern neo-noir colour & style and a massive plot twist serving you a mind-bending cat and mouse thriller-killer, that just about sums up the influences and vision of Strange Darling.

The film itself is introduced in chapters, all told in a non linear fashion. Starting with a chase sequence between "The Lady" and "The Demon" in Chapter 3, then switching forward to the penultimate Chapter 5, then rewinding back to the setup in Chapter 1 and so forth until finally dropping the dramatic conclusion in Chapter 6, as each element reveals another side to the developing arc of the plot.

The cinematography is gorgeous, the soundtrack is spot on and the two main leads (especially the female actress, Willa Fitzgerald) deliver absolute breakout performances.

Infact, the less you know/read about this film, the better the viewing experience, as it will truly catch you off your guard!

9/10

Last edited:
Strange Darling (2024)
Sauce: Cinema release 20th Sept (UK)

Plot: A one night stand spiral's into a serial killer's vicious murder spree.

rTwAh2t.jpeg

Imagine chucking the following film/styles into a blender, 60's Hitchcock, 70's horror like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 80's Lynch, 90's peak Tarantino / Natural Born Killers / Kalifornia, 20's Nolan Memento, with a dash of neo-noir style and a massive plot twist serving you a mind-bending cat and mouse killer-thriller.

The film is introduced in chapters starting with Chapter 3, then bouncing forward to Chapter 5, then Chapter 1 and so on, as each element reveals another side to the overall arc of the plot. The cinematography is gorgeous, soundtrack is spot on and the two main leads (especially the female actress) deliver breakout performances.

Infact, the less you know/read about this film, the better the viewing experience, as it will truly catch you off your guard!

9/10
Trailer actually looks good. May add this to my cinema watch list.

The Lavender Hill mob on BBC2 classic ealing comedy 6/10
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum Zero Mostell in fine form 6/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.