Lautaro Martinez

Just hypothetical but imagine if we had a younger Lewandowski in our team, he would cause absolute chaos. He is a sublime striker, excellent technique, finishing, strong on the ball, direct, good attitude as you could see him driving the team on in CL final. Even now for a couple of seasons he would run riot for us. As I said hypothetical but man that would be a major signing IMO

I would agree with that and when Gabriel Jesus kicks on further then that be great as well

Too much a work in progress for me. Gabriel Jesus is our project striker and we could do with a ready made replacement for Aguero (once that time arrives).
The problem is there basically are no "ready made replacements" for Sergio Aguero.

Haaland isn't happening. Between the wages he'd demand and the agents fees, we basically never do those type of deals anymore, so who else even is there? Unless you want to spend 150m on Harry Kane for some reason. Guys who can come in and replace Sergio straight away basically don't hit the market, and when they do they cost world record type fees.

The problem is there basically are no "ready made replacements" for Sergio Aguero. Haaland isn't happening - we basically never do those type of deals anymore - so who else even is there? Unless you want to spend 150m on Harry Kane for some reason.

Not even Haaland or Kane. For a stop gap maybe Dybala (that would be dependent on who Juve would shift out). As for Martinez is still too raw for what we want in a striker,

Not even Haaland or Kane. For a stop gap maybe Dybala (that would be dependent on who Juve would shift out). As for Martinez is still too raw for what we want in a striker,
That's a good shout actually, even if they aren't super similar. If Dybala is on the market this summer I would buy him. Unfortunately it seems like we're not interested/he might not be.

For me its,

Haaland -> Dybala -> Lautaro/Felix

Not aware of other top prospects, these are the names I hear the most.

That's a good shout actually, even if they aren't super similar. If Dybala is on the market this summer I would buy him. Unfortunately it seems like we're not interested.

Unfortunately and Juve would probably offload another striker to accomodate Chewy.

Haaland, Kane or Mbappe. These have to be the only players on our list.

If we can't get any of those I'd stick with Jesus, and maybe go for Felix as a number 10.

Don't want us wasting anymore money on Strikers who won't cut the mustard like we did with Jovetic, Bony, Jo, Negredo, Adebayor, Santa Cruz and Fowler.

Got to buy a goal machine - someone we know will come in and deliver immediately. Mbappe would be my first choice. I'd just bid 200m next summer. PSG would be mad to turn that down. If we kept him for a decade it would work out at 20 million a season plus wages. Would represent good value in the grand scheme of things.

If not - try Haaland or Kane for 100m+. If these lads come in and win us titles it would be a drop in the ocean as to what money they have brought into the club on prize money. We paid more than 200m combined for the strikers I mentioned above and look how they worked out. We've got to start pushing the boat out now and spending more money on one individual player like the elite clubs in Europe.

Use this summer for sorting the defence/central midfield. Let's go all out with a full transfer budget on a hitman next summer. We've got to buy world class and not potential.

Last edited:
It's worth nothing that Martinez is almost exactly the same age as Aguero was when he joined City. Aguero had just turned 23, and Martinez did a couple of days ago too. According to Wikipedia Aguero at that point had 101 goals in 234 games. Martinez has 57 in 144. In terms of ratio, not a million miles off. I'm not saying he's Aguero's level, but Aguero did improve at City. Martinez has a better record for Argentina at the same age too.
Importantly Aguero moved from being a bit of a second striker alongside forlan to an out and put goalscorer for us. Clips of aguero from atletico days show him a bit deeper. Maybe that's where there's another correlation

I have been looking at some expected goal stats.

In 2.0k minutes Jesus scored 14 goals, but with his chances, he should have scored 7 more goals and been our club's top scorer on 21 goals, instead he was 4th highest goal scorer on 14 goals.

Out of the top 6 PL teams only Firmino missed as many chances/ expected goals.
The highest expected goals in the PL top 6 was Mason Greenwood who scored 10 goals in 1.3k minutes, (+7 on his expected goals).

Martinez is better than Jesus but still failed to score expected goals, in 2.5k minutes he has scored 14 goals (-2 on his expected goals). Comparing Lukaku in 2.9k mins he has scored 23 goals, (+2 on his expected goals).

Lewandowski scored 34 goals in 2.8k minutes, (+2 on his expected goals).
Sancho scored 17 goals in 2.2k minutes, (+6 on his expected goals).
Haaland scored 13 goals in only 1.0k minutes, (+4 on his expected goals).
Kane scored 18 goals in 2.5k minutes, (+5 on his expected goals).
Sergio scored 16 goals in 1.5k minutes, (his expected goals).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.