Lautaro Martinez

If we are getting a striker moderately better than Gab we will remain frustrated vis a vis chance conversion. Gab doesn’t get penalties whereas many listed do. Lautaro has taken a few pen and missed a few pens. I love a South American player and the Argentinians have often been great here but I’m not feeling Lautaro. Better spend the money elsewhere in the team and wait for 2021/22.

If we are getting a striker moderately better than Gab we will remain frustrated vis a vis chance conversion. Gab doesn’t get penalties whereas many listed do. Lautaro has taken a few pen and missed a few pens. I love a South American player and the Argentinians have often been great here but I’m not feeling Lautaro. Better spend the money elsewhere in the team and wait for 2021/22.
Gabriel Jesus has a much better goalscoring record than Martínez

I have been looking at some expected goal stats.

In 2.0k minutes Jesus scored 14 goals, but with his chances, he should have scored 7 more goals and been our club's top scorer on 21 goals, instead he was 4th highest goal scorer on 14 goals.

Out of the top 6 PL teams only Firmino missed as many chances/ expected goals.
The highest expected goals in the PL top 6 was Mason Greenwood who scored 10 goals in 1.3k minutes, (+7 on his expected goals).

Martinez is better than Jesus but still failed to score expected goals, in 2.5k minutes he has scored 14 goals (-2 on his expected goals). Comparing Lukaku in 2.9k mins he has scored 23 goals, (+2 on his expected goals).

Lewandowski scored 34 goals in 2.8k minutes, (+2 on his expected goals).
Sancho scored 17 goals in 2.2k minutes, (+6 on his expected goals).
Haaland scored 13 goals in only 1.0k minutes, (+4 on his expected goals).
Kane scored 18 goals in 2.5k minutes, (+5 on his expected goals).
Sergio scored 16 goals in 1.5k minutes, (his expected goals).
I know what a goal is, but all this expected goals stuff is a bit intangible. It doesn’t give due credit, as far as I know, to people who get into goal scoring positions relatively more than others?

I have been looking at some expected goal stats.

In 2.0k minutes Jesus scored 14 goals, but with his chances, he should have scored 7 more goals and been our club's top scorer on 21 goals, instead he was 4th highest goal scorer on 14 goals.

Out of the top 6 PL teams only Firmino missed as many chances/ expected goals.
The highest expected goals in the PL top 6 was Mason Greenwood who scored 10 goals in 1.3k minutes, (+7 on his expected goals).

Martinez is better than Jesus but still failed to score expected goals, in 2.5k minutes he has scored 14 goals (-2 on his expected goals). Comparing Lukaku in 2.9k mins he has scored 23 goals, (+2 on his expected goals).

Lewandowski scored 34 goals in 2.8k minutes, (+2 on his expected goals).
Sancho scored 17 goals in 2.2k minutes, (+6 on his expected goals).
Haaland scored 13 goals in only 1.0k minutes, (+4 on his expected goals).
Kane scored 18 goals in 2.5k minutes, (+5 on his expected goals).
Sergio scored 16 goals in 1.5k minutes, (his expected goals).
Lewandowski was -11 last season. I don't know if it's relevant at all but I always thought it was interesting.

This year's transfer funds should go to our defense.
Hope Aguero stays healthy for the next couple of years as short of Mbappe we can't buy as good a striker.
Jesus is as good a backup as one can hope for. His press is awesome and he gets enough goals and assists.

Lewandowski was -11 last season. I don't know if it's relevant at all but I always thought it was interesting.
You're right apparently Lewandowski missed lots of chances last season, but he was still their top scorer with 22 goals from 2.9k minutes.
I checked Jesus last season, again he missed our most expected goals -6, with 7 goals from 0.9k minutes.

Obviously these stats only give part of the picture, but I think it helps to identify which players can be most clinical. A difficulty we have had in many games.

I know what a goal is, but all this expected goals stuff is a bit intangible. It doesn’t give due credit, as far as I know, to people who get into goal scoring positions relatively more than others?
Expected goals certainly are not as clear as goals scored. However you have to admit we regularly miss golden scoring opportunities, like Sterling's against Lyon and many penalties! Our home game to Liverpool we were unusually clinical and it was brilliant to see.

It generally does actually. At least over longer periods. Jesus for instance has a higher xG per 90 minutes than other similar players which would suggest he's better at either getting on the end of chances and/or creating them for himself. The fact his goals are lower than his xG suggests he's not the most clinical finisher.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.