Layvin Kurzawa

Going off his performance against Arsenal we are better off in keeping Kolarov and continuing the search for a new left back.

Ray78 said:
Going off his performance against Arsenal we are better off in keeping Kolarov and continuing the search for a new left back.
149765.jpg

First time I've seen him last night and wasn't impressed at all

Would have Clichy over him all day

chris85mcfc said:

I haven't seen enough of him to judge properly, but from what I have seen, I'd be inclined to agree.

I don't really understand the logic behind the apparent clamour for a new left back anyway. We've essentially got 7 'first team' defenders (Zaba, Sagna, Kompany, Mangala, Demichelis, Clichy, Kolarov); of those, Clichy has been, consistently, far and away the best this season.

In terms of freshening up the squad, I'd file getting a new left back under 'would perhaps be nice but not a priority'. We've got bigger issues to address. I'd rather look to sell Kolarov, and then promote someone from the academy (Angelino? Again, only seen snippets) as back-up left back. Clichy is, after all, very rarely injured and seldom looks in need of any kind of rest (plus both Zabaleta and Sagna are capable of playing there, Mangala perhaps too at a push).

sh249 said:
I don't really understand the logic behind the apparent clamour for a new left back anyway. We've essentially got 7 'first team' defenders (Zaba, Sagna, Kompany, Mangala, Demichelis, Clichy, Kolarov); of those, Clichy has been, consistently, far and away the best this season.

They probably want a left-back to compensate for the lack of a left winger if we continue this style of ours that uses full-backs for width in many games. Kolarov offers what the club would like going forward, but is pretty poor defensively. Clichy is rock solid defensively but once he passes the halfway line doesn't have much idea and often ends up playing a short passing game with Nasri. Kurzawa is very young and competent defensively with good pace and a nice cross going forward, so perhaps they see him developing into a more complete full-back in the future. I'm surprised City aren't going for Gaya or Rodriguez though, these two are as dangerous as wingers going forward and both can tackle.

sh249 said:
chris85mcfc said:

I haven't seen enough of him to judge properly, but from what I have seen, I'd be inclined to agree.

In terms of freshening up the squad, I'd file getting a new left back under 'would perhaps be nice but not a priority'. We've got bigger issues to address. I'd rather look to sell Kolarov, and then promote someone from the academy (Angelino? Again, only seen snippets) as back-up left back. Clichy is, after all, very rarely injured and seldom looks in need of any kind of rest (plus both Zabaleta and Sagna are capable of playing there, Mangala perhaps too at a push).

Yeah I agree on Clichy. Don't get me wrong he isn't a great defender and he is practically useless going forward. But what he is good at is anticipating passes and intercepting them, which is as close to defending on the front foot as you're going to get. His pace tends to get him out of trouble on most occasions, and like you said I can't think of an occasion where he has been out injured for any length of time, add all that together and you kind of wonder why we would bother spending good money on another left back.

I'd rather see us sell Kolarov, as I just think he is garbage, and promote Angelino, but sign a decent left sided winger who can actually help defend the left hand side. I think Isco would have been perfect for that role but that ship looks like its sailed.

Having said all that, this fella Kurzawa certainly doesn't look the answer if we are going to sign a left back.

LoveCity said:
sh249 said:

They probably want a left-back to compensate for the lack of a left winger if we continue this style of ours that uses full-backs for width in many games. Kolarov offers what the club would like going forward, but is pretty poor defensively. Clichy is rock solid defensively but once he passes the halfway line doesn't have much idea and often ends up playing a short passing game with Nasri. Kurzawa is very young and competent defensively with good pace and a nice cross going forward, so perhaps they see him developing into a more complete full-back in the future. I'm surprised City aren't going for Gaya or Rodriguez though, these two are as dangerous as wingers going forward and both can tackle.

Yeah, perhaps you're right - there's no gainsaying that Clichy doesn't offer much in the final third. I'd rather we just tweeked the shape a bit though and bought an out-and-out wideman - that's one of those areas that must, surely, be an absolute priority in the summer. Then there wouldn't be as much onus on the fullbacks to provide attacking width.

With regards the two you mention, I don't know that much about Gaya. Rodriguez is definitely good going forward (and delivers a mean set-piece). But he's also suspect defensively and would come in for plenty of stick for errors.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.