Leadership?

We definitely need leaders on the pitch, we just look too halfarsed at times, though not as bad as last season. Hart was very charismatic and vocal, we miss that as well as his goalkeeping.

On this, I completely disagree.

We all loved Hart's passion. Of course we did. It was obviously from all his shouting that he cared.

But that's not leading. That's cheer-leading.

Hart was no different than Rooney. Shouting "C'mon" and bollocking players does not make you a leader.

Hart was a shambles at this. He literally screamed Boateng, Savic and Mangala out of the club. All 3 are now proven to be very decent centre halves. If Hart was a leader, he'd be constantly moving them into the right positions and motivating them. Completely different approach to what he does.

But yes, from the stands we all love to see the vocals and verbals.

If you want a great example of leadership done right, look a Demichelis when Kompany went out injured(yes, that demichelis). But there was a time when he came into the side and made a huge difference by being a calming influence, experienced enough to ignore Joe's shouting and screaming and was able to calmly organise those around him. It was great leadership without being a shouter and a screamer. Of course, you have to practise what you preach and poor Martin wasn't good enough quality to be in the side by the following year, but it's another story for another day. But in his first year, he was very clearly a respected leader and had a better leadership effect than Vinny, who is great in his own game but not an organiser of men in the same way.

Its a mix but when you get the right leader he can be the key to getting a team to win tricky games and leading by example. Look at Kompany when he comes back I think as a whole we will start to defend better and look more solid. He will bring the best out of both Ottamendi and Stones. We need his leadership big time. Getting rid of Hart for Bravo was a huge call on Peps part Hart a natural leader good all round keeper. Wasnt any need to get rid. Look at his replacement at the moment whos distribution which he was got for has been poor at times. We missed a trick or Pep missed a trick he could of seen the year out with Hart and given him a chance.
I think long term leaders in the team will be few and far between. A lot of new faces and it will take time for them to find a voice. I think were looking at players who will offer us a lot but might miss something to grab the game by scruff when the going gets tough. Fernandhino looks likely to be a new leader but I am not 100 per cent sure he can do it all.

Its a mix but when you get the right leader he can be the key to getting a team to win tricky games and leading by example. Look at Kompany when he comes back I think as a whole we will start to defend better and look more solid. He will bring the best out of both Ottamendi and Stones. We need his leadership big time. Getting rid of Hart for Bravo was a huge call on Peps part Hart a natural leader good all round keeper. Wasnt any need to get rid. Look at his replacement at the moment whos distribution which he was got for has been poor at times. We missed a trick or Pep missed a trick he could of seen the year out with Hart and given him a chance.
I think long term leaders in the team will be few and far between. A lot of new faces and it will take time for them to find a voice. I think were looking at players who will offer us a lot but might miss something to grab the game by scruff when the going gets tough. Fernandhino looks likely to be a new leader but I am not 100 per cent sure he can do it all.

See my previous post. Hart was anything but a natural leader. Ask yourself this; if anyone in your job shouted at you the way Joe shouts at players, how would you perform? Would it inspire you to work harder or would you say "fuck that guy"?

I think they are sharing the arm band with the veteran members of the squad because it's the natural thing to do at the beginning of a new tenure. The "true" captain(s) will emerge as this team grows into itself. Cream rising to the top and all of that. Patience it will happen

See my previous post. Hart was anything but a natural leader. Ask yourself this; if anyone in your job shouted at you the way Joe shouts at players, how would you perform? Would it inspire you to work harder or would you say "fuck that guy"?

Joe was a leader. Yeah he shouted but he also lead by example. Some of his preformances were key to us winning titles in the past. You cant use Work and Sport in this type of way. Some people play on the edge take Saurez he be playing on a knife edge at times. Feels he has the world against him and he scores goals for fun. I have nothing wrong with players shouting at players we dont know what they are saying to each other. Some players need that type of kick up the arse for them to get back on track. Some of the goals we have concided in the champions league have been comical we can agree on that a leader in that team would be on the case of that player geeing them up to do a lot better we didnt see that yesterday or against Celtic. These players are getting well paid and its sport go onto any sporting field its natural to see people geeing up the players and team mates its what makes it sport and team spirit and a team that fights for each other. Different opions but were lacking it this season so far.

why is shouting encouragement a bad thing ? dont see how its a negative really. tony adams, roy keane, john terry all shout/ed encorougment to their team mates. we dont actually know what 95% percent of the things joe shouted, perhaps he was organizing the defence or helping team mates out. if he's in the tunnel shouting 'come on guys' is that really a bad thing.
you can't really compare it to work either, if someone shouted encorugment to me it would probably spur me to perform better. for example if your in the army if someone shouts encouragement you wouldn't suddenly think fuck that guy. if the players actually did that, that shows how unprofessional they are.

joe was one of our main leaders, he led by example and was a huge part in our title wins. shouting is irrelevant. He puts in the performances, which he did.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP. I think we are lacking in leadership and a hardness both in defence and mid field.

Whilst I love watching David Silva , Nolito and Kevin in midfield they are the same type of players not a Tony Adams, Vieira, Keane, Gerrard, Wise type that would battle and scrap their way during a game. I feel these types of players are more suited to the type of football played in the EPL and could adapt toPeps style without compromising anything if they were around today. Where do you find such players is another matter

It is going to take Pep time to get the right pieces in place, however, I must say I am very optimistic about our future.

Last edited:
I know he's been injured but it seems to me kompany has been pretty much non existent in any club media since pep arrived.
He still is the club captain and you would have thought he'd be all over the media as the face of city while he's been injured.
Others have passed comment too I'm not sure all well between him and pep ,just a feeling ?

Joe was a leader. Yeah he shouted but he also lead by example. Some of his preformances were key to us winning titles in the past. You cant use Work and Sport in this type of way. Some people play on the edge take Saurez he be playing on a knife edge at times. Feels he has the world against him and he scores goals for fun. I have nothing wrong with players shouting at players we dont know what they are saying to each other. Some players need that type of kick up the arse for them to get back on track. Some of the goals we have concided in the champions league have been comical we can agree on that a leader in that team would be on the case of that player geeing them up to do a lot better we didnt see that yesterday or against Celtic. These players are getting well paid and its sport go onto any sporting field its natural to see people geeing up the players and team mates its what makes it sport and team spirit and a team that fights for each other. Different opions but were lacking it this season so far.

It makes no difference whether it's sport or business or how much anyone gets paid. When it comes to leadership, it comes down to relationships and your ability to get the best out of those around you. Was Joe a great keeper? Absolutely. Was he inspiring by his performances? Sure was. But once he opened his mouth on the field it wasn't the way to lead. That approach gets old real, real fast.

I've been lucky enough to spend time with coaches who've been at levels as high as Pep and trust me, when it comes to leadership they want enthusiastic people who deliver the message, have genuine respect for those around them and have little ego. There aren't many of those. But the truly great leaders are the Paddy Vieira's, Frank Lampard's and Richard Dunne's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.