Leadership?

I spent five years coaching a top american football college team and learned a lot about this.

Traditionally we'd appoint captains who were the obvious charismatic guys. We found that's a mixed bag and can turn fast if things aren't going your way.

We moved to a philosophy of "deeds leads" and this worked much better. A case of leading by example. You could see everyone raising their game to match performances, and it lead to a lot less bitching.

I think City have the right idea, but we are very much in transition. When you have players like the full backs lingering around it can stall a full implementation of leadership in order to not rock the boat too much, after all we've done that a lot with removing the older leaders. Players like Zab and Kolarov have been through the wars for us and it's right they are shown a level of respect.

I'd also agree that Pep sees himself as the leader and if the system is implemented properly, he doesnt need someone on the pitch to do the job for him.

You're asking players to be aggressive on the pitch, charging down defenders and sprinting to every loose ball.

And it's surprising that these players sometimes see that aggression boil over? Why?

Have you watched Spurs lately? The most aggressive team in the league both within the laws of the game, and outside them - Rose, Alli and Walker are constantly getting in fights.
But we are the only team who have had 3 red cards already,no gloss is going to cover that up,you can't possibly say it's ok can you?

I spent five years coaching a top american football college team and learned a lot about this.

Traditionally we'd appoint captains who were the obvious charismatic guys. We found that's a mixed bag and can turn fast if things aren't going your way.

We moved to a philosophy of "deeds leads" and this worked much better. A case of leading by example. You could see everyone raising their game to match performances, and it lead to a lot less bitching.

I think City have the right idea, but we are very much in transition. When you have players like the full backs lingering around it can stall a full implementation of leadership in order to not rock the boat too much, after all we've done that a lot with removing the older leaders. Players like Zab and Kolarov have been through the wars for us and it's right they are shown a level of respect.

I'd also agree that Pep sees himself as the leader and if the system is implemented properly, he doesnt need someone on the pitch to do the job for him.

Which team mate if you dont mind me asking?

"deeds leads" is absolutely spot on imo when looking for a leader of the side.

But we are the only team who have had 3 red cards already,no gloss is going to cover that up,you can't possibly say it's ok can you?

Please point to where I said it was OK.

I said it's to be expected that aggression boils over and it's part of being an agressive team. Nolito's red was bullshit anyway and Bravo's was nothing to do with aggression.

Please point to where I said it was OK.

I said it's to be expected that aggression boils over and it's part of being an agressive team. Nolito's red was bullshit anyway and Bravo's was nothing to do with aggression.
You said spurs are aggressive but they don't have 3 red cards,2 for aggression,it is what it is but there are no excuses

You said spurs are aggressive but they don't have 3 red cards,2 for aggression,it is what it is but there are no excuses

I dont disagree with you on this karen but will add that the way we are officiated and the way our tackles attract cards when compared to other sides, its something that is not always going to be under our control or fair.

We definitely need leaders on the pitch, we just look too halfarsed at times, though not as bad as last season. Hart was very charismatic and vocal, we miss that as well as his goalkeeping. And Kompany of course. I think we need more players who utterly refuse to accept losing and will kick arses on the pitch to stop heads going down. We still miss Tevez hugely in my opinion, he was amazing on the pitch.

Thinking about other teams though, there don't really seem to be many leaders like in the past - those in the Tony Adams, Vieira, Keane, Gerrard, Wise mould. We could do with someone of that character in central midfield really, not sure who unless there's anyone in Europe like that?

Maybe when Komps is back we'll be better. Our biggest problem though is our shit finishing. We create so many chances, if we finished just 25% more we'd smash teams and then I think the rest would take care of itself without really needing a vocal leader.

We could afford to concede and we'd usually still win by 2 or 3 so it wouldn't matter. We need leaders more when we're up against it, and if we took more of our chances we'd hardly ever be up against it. So really, bloody practice finishing City! Why do we miss so many or seem to inspire an opposing keeper into their best performances of the season!?

I dont disagree with you on this karen but will add that the way we are officiated and the way our tackles attract cards when compared to other sides, its something that is not always going to be under our control or fair.
That sounds like another excuse to me,back on topic would leadership calm everyone down? guess we'll see when vinny is back

That sounds like another excuse to me,back on topic would leadership calm everyone down? guess we'll see when vinny is back

Hardly an excuse and much more a shared view on how we as a team are often officiated in comparison to theirs karen thats all.

Should Nolito have gone? yes, stupid but the other lad also went in with his head and nothing.

Should Kun have gone? Debatable but if he goes, then so do a dozen others every weekend but they never seem to.

Anyway thats a different debate and as i said, i agree with you in principle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.