Leaving the game early

Not when trying to beat the traffic
Have you ever left a game early because City were getting thumped?

I've done it twice, both being FA Cup quarter final games.
Liverpool in 1988 when we were 4-0 down
I was relatively young, extremely naive and truly believed we could win

Tottenham in 93
We were absolutely nailed on to win the cup. Sheron put us one up and all is well, then we collapsed
I left before Phelen scored our consolation and I felt physically sick as I left Maine Road
That evening I had a 200 mile journey to Essex and had to face my smug spurs supporting colleagues the next day
The west ham fa cup game when Pearce was in charge, someone pulled out of a 50-50 right in front of us and West Ham and scored their second goal. No bottle in the team and our dreams ruined for another season and my last in the UK. Left the ground straight after they scored.

Only once. I used to take my stepson, then about 6 into the Platt Lane. We played Leeds and there were running battles throughout the stand. I was too worried about him ti bother with the match.

The west ham fa cup game when Pearce was in charge, someone pulled out of a 50-50 right in front of us and West Ham and scored their second goal. No bottle in the team and our dreams ruined for another season and my last in the UK. Left the ground straight after they scored.
The Dean Ashton brace. I wanted West Ham to win the cup once we were out but it was crap because Ashton favoured a move here over West Ham.

He could’ve been a very good player.

Only once. Was a testimonial at Maine Road in early 90s (I think). Can’t remember whose testimonial it was but it was against the rags and it was played at walking pace. Left after about an hour. If they couldn’t be arsed playing properly then I couldn’t be arsed watching it

Left the Gillingham game and never attempted to get back in. Just suffered listening on the radio on the way back.

Also left the United FA Cup tie at half time, when we were already 3 down and Kompany was off. Once again l listened on the radio and we got back to 3-2.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a fairweather fan, but I'm very good at not letting a bad result ruin my day, and I just had better things to be doing with my time on both those occasions.
Weird...

Burnley at home 68-69: Arrived late and missed our first, and the driver decided to leave early and we missed our 7th.
Can't think of any other home games when I left the ground early but did watch a few injury times on the Kippax concourse TVs when getting out of the lower tier was a nightmare.
Left the swamp early in 73-74, just after Denis Law scored and the mutants invaded the pitch. Went back when it was announced the game would continue but soon realised it wouldn't happen.
Also left the swamp early at the 0-5 and was amazed to see so many rags also leaving. Obviously a long drive back to Kent and Essex with work in the morning.
The only other one I can remember was Spuds in our first PL game at the new ground. Their second goal (from their second shot on target) was very late in the game and my mate and I pissed off at 90 minutes rather than watching stoppage time.
I'm sure there must be a few others but can't recall them at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.