Lee: City buying lots of top-class average. Lack high-class

Blue Haze

Former Manchester City chairman and player Francis Lee feels the owners need to spend even more money on some "knockout drops" if they are to win the Premier League.

Lee feels defeat by Manchester United on Saturday means that City have no chance now of winning the title this season, and he believes the £400 million spent so far by owner Sheikh Mansour was not enough.

Lee told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I don't think you can win the Premier League with this team - you need a couple of more knockout drops.

"Tevez is a wonderful striker but he just hasn't got that support up front. We just don't have that real cutting edge that can dominate games. We can pass it intricately but we just don't have that knockout drop and if Tevez doesn't do it we are struggling a bit.

"Dzeko needs time to settle in because it's patently obvious he had not adjusted to the speed of the Premier League. He should be a very good player [eventually] but if Tevez gets injured you need someone who can really stick it away and they are very difficult to find.

"I think there's a dearth of very, very high-class players - you are buying a lot of top-class average."

Asked if City boss Roberto Mancini will bring in new players in the summer, Lee added: "I would think so - he may have to get rid of one or two people but he needs a wide option too."

Wayne Rooney's stunning overhead kick won the game for United and Lee believes that has guaranteed the title going to Old Trafford.

He said: "Certainly, yes. I think it rules everybody else out of winning the league. I thought City had to win to give the rest of the teams a chance - Chelsea and Arsenal too - it was a real big win for them.

"It was a wonderful goal by Rooney. It just shows that old adage that form is temporary and class is permanent. He was having a wretched afternoon and everything was going wrong for him and up he pops with a stunner."

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/879906/francis-lee-believes-manchester-city-need-more-signings?cc=5901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... gs?cc=5901</a>

Spot fucking on.

(Sorry if already posted)

Top clubs generally don't sell their best players unless they need the money or the player is having issues with the club and wants to leave. That's how we got our generally world class signings in Silva, Tevez (not with a club but same concept), and Robinho as well as the likes of Adebayor and Yaya. Dzeko should turn out to be a high class signing by next season as well as a fit Balotelli and an adjusted to the Premiership Kolarov.

I'm assuming by average he and you are referring to Barry, Milner, Zabaleta, and Lescott but they all are players any club in the league would love to have. Compare them to the likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Smalling, and Anderson and there's not really much between them, in fact I'd take ours of that group.

Also our young players in Balo, Richards, Hart, Boateng, and Johnson are only going to improve and the rest with a fully fit squad will get better and better with more experience playing with each other.

Lee can fcuk off.

He may make some fair-ish points but he is one person who has no right to criticise the clubs buying policy.

Our joint worst chairman.

"I want to save my city" splashed over the back pages of the Mirror, followed by (a few years later when he WAS chairman) "I didn't want the job".

Also wasn't it Lee that fell out with Nelly?

Great player. Shit judge of a player. And a bigmouth.

Rather hypocritical from Lee but he's right in a sense that we need a world class left back, centre mid and forward should Tevez leave. I think Milner will take Barry's place eventually and he'll do the job alongside De Jong and Yaya but we can't just rest on that and Michael Johnson only maybe coming back.

I heard some of that interview. Just a guy living in the past with his there used to be 30 odd world class players but now there are only 5 or 6 or something like that. Yeah, yeah better in his day, yawn. He wants to think about some of the fucking bilge we had to watch when he was in charge of the club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.