Leeds United (A) Post Match Thread

The obvious issues are still there. The 3 new signings bedding in isn’t the issue. They haven’t caused us any problems as such.

Having 2 strikers one of which is 32 with injury problems is an issue, the balance of the midfield is an issue, the loss of Silva with no obvious replacement is an issue, having one natural but out of form left back is an issue, the way our team panics after conceding is an issue, the amount of quality chances we concede is an issue.

I understand that we had a short break, I know we have injury and Covid issues but we are still showing the same fragility. We’ve become flat track bullies, great when we’re two goals up but likely to collapse when things go wrong.
Don’t forget most on here thought foden was a ready made replacement for Silva . How can you exoect a young kid who has hardly played to step into the shoes of our greatest ever player. We are really missing David Silva.

If we didn’t realise, we do now. Arteta was doing a lot of the legwork. There was once a time when I’d have loved Mourinho here, which proves all managers have a shelf life. Bayern have coped incredibly well after Pep. His time here is done.
How you get away with your shite I'll never know.

I know some people will be saying that were over reacting with just 4 games played this season, but this is just a continuation of the same problems as last year. That's what bugs me the most.

This team now would not beat the two title winning teams we had under Pep. Simple as that for me. We have not replaced Sane, Kompany, Silva with anything like the same level of quality. We have not got a player with anything like the same quality as Aguero lined up either. And we o ly have 2 strikers one of which misses 15 games a season though injury.

I totally expect to see plenty of games this season where we win 5 on the bounce then draw to Fulham and lose to a West Ham. Were in danger of becoming Arsenal - capable of beating anyone and capable of losing to anyone.

As I've said before this is a massive challenge for Pep. He's spent another 100m on the defence and he's not seemingly committed to staying.

We need to know if he is staying and if not then we all need to move on. What we've got now is a manager who is unable to bring out the best in the squad as the players are losing faith with him. If he cannot turn it round and quick then we have to move on I'm afraid. And this is from someone who thinks he's the best manager in the world.

I can't believe how far off the pace we have fallen in two seasons, it's unreal. Three games in and the title had already gone for us. Five points behind a strong Liverpool who aren't going to drop many, if any points this season.

We haven't addressed our glaring weaknesses which is left back, defensive and creative midfield and another striker. Hopefully when he settles Dias will solve the centre back problem, but as well as Mendy played in patches he will always be a weak spot. Add to that Walker being prone to switching off and sloppy play on the other side and teams are always going to score against us.

Mahrez just doesn't fit our style at all. Rodri is too slow to be an effective DM and Fern is 35. Sterling isn't clinical enough to be our main striker. His goal was great but his one on one miss awful. Foden is no Silva but who is in fairness? He is young and may be world class one day but not yet.

More worryingly the team in the last two games don't look like they believe in what they are doing and worse don't look like they know what they are supposed to be doing. We go into our shells, look timid and lack guts and leadership. Aguero and Jesus coming back isn't going to solve everything.

We have gone from buzzing beating Wolves away to despair at the last two results. Pep has a huge job on his hands here, it may be a season too far.

They didnt though they conceded 3 goals & it took a last minute pen to beat them. We were one mistake away from beating Leeds despite having both senior strikers injured.
Liverpool are better than us at the moment but let's see how well they'd do without Mane & Salah v Leeds or alot ofvteams tbh.
Thats equivalent to us without Aguero & Jesus.
It's a long season mate. They'll be times when everyone has bad luck, injuries etc. Dippers included

Leeds caught them at the best time. They would have strolled it tonight, as we would two seasons ago.

But lets imagine those Liverpool players get injured for once. What have we done do far, to indicate we would be the team to cash in ?

We are very close to chucking it, already.

We need to get fit & start playing, after the break.

Good post, but we both know their key players just don't pick up injuries. Not that I want them too, I just can't figure it out.
They are lucky, I cant deny it with injuries.
Even Mane getting Covid means he gets a rest for 2 weeks over the international break & doesn't miss any key games for them.
I wouldn't wish any player getting injured or sick to gain an advantage. It's a rag or dipper trait.
I'm just using it to illustrate a point about their general luck

After a promising and dominating start that turned into a weird (not a good weird) performance before the last 10 minutes where we probably deserved to win. The substitutions were key to that but a that we had to make two ‘negative’ substitutions to gain control of the game.

Rodri was hands down the best outfield player today, I’d say that KDB was way off his best, maybe feeling he’s needing to force things at the moment and Foden didn’t look ready to take on the central midfield role.

Our wingers didn’t influence the game enough, although at least there are signs of promise with Torres.

Decent start from Dias and Laporte looked back to his normal form.

We really need Jesus and Aguero back and available, It’s been a hurdle we’ve just not been able to deal with.

Mendy is so frustrating and ultimately unreliable, it feels like you are waiting for the next mistake no matter how well he plays.

Belting game of football. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 2 teams going toe to toe. Not arsed we didn’t win as I was entertained for 90 mins. Think some people haven’t really grasped the fact that this is essentially our pre season, so we will definitely get better as the season progresses. Tiny percentages make a big big difference at the top of the tree & not having a preseason will definitely harm us this early in the season.

Thought both teams played some fantastic stuff today. Leeds really impressed me
I agree with you but it’s not our pre-season is it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.