Leeds United (A) Post Match Thread

Said the same after the Leicester game. We have built a side that would dominate in La Liga, but will not fare well in the PL. The problem being now when Pep goes we are left with another load of players we will struggle to sell on for decent money and have to spend big again.

I really don't know if the torrent of negativity on here will prove to be justified. I know I didn't think the performance was bad, in fact the first 20 minutes were excellent and the game should have been over at that point. That it wasn't and City didn't go on to win is mostly down to absolutely shocking shot accuracy from players who really are capable of doing better.

The other reason we didn't win is that Leeds got a spawny goal thanks to a diabolical piece of goalkeeping, why a goalkeeper is trying to punch two handed is beyond me. Our keeper did make some good saves so there is no denying Leeds had chances but they are capable of playing some clever football - they scored three at Klanfield.

We all knew going into the season that City have work to do to get back to a higher level. The team has had no preseason but has new players it needs to integrate and David Silva to replace as the regular centre left attacking midfielder plus we have both our usual centre forwards missing. The team shape and organisation is unquestionably in need of improvement but that is not entirely surprising in the circumstances.

In some ways the club has let itself down again in the transfer market by not doing something special although the three new players may all prove to be very good signings. All those players need to be given time to settle in, although Dias didn't actually look out of place today. Torres does look as though he will need some patience but he's a kid. Ake needs to used at left back for now to bring some straight-forward defensive solidity.

A settled back four of Walker Dias Laporte Ake might just give us a solid base to build greater confidence on which might just allow the forward players to be more relaxed and therefore more composed and accurate with their finishing.

We started well. Just couldn't keep up with the pace. Maybe down to early season start. We will kick into gear im sure in a few weeks. Stay calm. Only concern was Mendy silliness. We need a left back. And Mahrez has to be drilled about passing rather than shooting.

Said the same after the Leicester game. We have built a side that would dominate in La Liga, but will not fare well in the PL. The problem being now when Pep goes we are left with another load of players we will struggle to sell on for decent money and have to spend big again.
Meh! This team won't dominate in LaLiga either.

Post of the year.

You'll get pelters though.
Bielsa said yesterday that Pep Guardiola ruined football, because he's so good and he had so much success that teams resorted to horrendous football in order to counter people adopting Pep's tacitcs.

I'm not sure if that's 100% true or just Bielsa going over the top in complimenting his friend, but I'm really starting to think Pep has ruined the Manchester City fan base.

I know that the Match thread and twitter are not necessarily 100% accurate portrayals of the fanbase but I seriously don't think many people on here actually enjoy football anymore. The levels of anger and angst that starts when the team sheet is announced and doesn't disappear unless we are 4-0 up is just unbearable.

Both our strikers are injured! Someone's going to have to play out of position. I've not been Mahrez's biggest fan over the 3 years he's been here but fucking hell guys he's not shit, he doesn't need to "Go back to North Africa" FFS because he didn't hold the ball up. He put a massive shift in, was the first one legging it back to defend just before he came off. The players pressed like lunatics in the first 30 minutes and maybe we're not fit enough to do that for the whole game yet because we had no preseason, but it showed the players are committed to Pep's football 100%.

We had it exceptionally easy for a couple of seasons, 198 points has never been done before, and won't be done again, but even in that centurions season we dropped points in 1/6 games. We had long spells where we weren't winning games. I don't remember there being so much animosity towards the players and Pep, I don't remember this sense of entitlement to an easy win and anything else is a travesty requiring players lined up against the wall or Pep getting replaced.

Leeds were really good. We saw that when the (apparently on a compeltely different plane to us) Liverpool side conceded 3 and could have conceded many more. BIelsa is an exceptional coach, Leeds will finish in the top 10 and take a few more scalps. They will take away all structure from the game and make it end to end madness against a lot of teams.

Unfortunately, in an absolute downpour, Ederson, who was excellent mostly, made 3 or 4 great saves and was the 2nd best keeper in the league at claiming crosses and corners last season made a mistake. They scored, we dropped a couple of points, it happens. Sterling should have ended the game, that's annoying but he is what he is, he helps us out a lot more than he hurts us.

Pep isn't upset post match, he's laughing and smiling. He wants the title more than anyone posting on here, he works harder for Manchester City than anyone, and he knows with 6 players out, against a really good side, no preseason, in an insane condensed season, sometimes you're going to drop a couple of points.

I'm not sure how to make this a more succinct point, but I just think quite a lot of our fans just need to fucking relax and stop living with this mindset where we have to win every single game we play while looking world class from 1-11 and having put the game to bed inside half an hour.

I'm sure the usual brigade will turn up and tell me to fuck off for being a happy clapper, but christ, in 2020, with a pandemic keeping us cooped up, if you're frothing at the mouth with anger from the line up being released on twitter to the full time whistle then I'm not sure what the point is.
“If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters just the same”
I wonder if Kipling was a City fan.

At least we didn’t lose! Yes that’s looking for a silver lining but a point is a point. We’ve needed a striker for years but haven’t got one, Jesus was bought in 2017 actually the Christmas before, all the money spent on defenders and midfielders but no striker.

Mendy, Mahrez and Walker, ffs three disasters waiting to happen. I wonder if Guardiola is sticking with Mendy because it doesn’t want to admit he’s been a flop? Maybe. Mahrez flatters when we are playing well, Walker just loses concentration at vital moments.

all good !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.