Legal action against Football’s governing bodies

BBC Football page :
“The family of the late Joe Kinnear and four Premier League-era players are among a number of claimants taking legal action against football’s governing bodies over brain injuries allegedly suffered during their careers.”

Interesting, are the families entitled to compensation?
Are ex-players entitled to compensation?
Can they prove heading a football was the reason they have brain injuries?
Footballs today are much more lighter than they were back in the day

What are your thoughts?

Legal action for what? Joe Kinnear was heading footballs years before wearing a seatbelt was the law.

Society develops and gains knowledge each year. What next? Someone who suffered serious injuries not wearing a seatbelt in 1967 suing Ford?

The whole “old balls” thing has been proven to be a myth.

The weight of a football has been fixed since 1872. The ball you see Haaland kick weighs the same as the one Dixie Dean used to kick.

Normally people say that old footballs used to suck up water and moisture and become heavier, but all sorts of tests have disproved that as myth - holding balls submerged for day and then weighing them, weighing balls before and after matches etc.

This one from 20 years ago - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4123437.stm

You can soak an old leather ball underwater and it will only be 2/3 grams heavier than a modern one.

The heavy feeling of the old balls was probably more due to cold weather lowering air pressure and making it underinflated, or just air leaking out over the match.
You’re correct on the dry weight of a ball not changing, but I’m not certain your point on the wet weight is correct mate

Prior to the 1970’s there was no polyurethane coating on footballs, so I’d guess you’re possibly right post 1970, but I can’t accept that a football made of a porous material such as leather wouldn’t gain more than 2-3g

The fact that they started using polyurethane to waterproof footballs in the 70’s would suggest that previously they held a lot of water & increased weight, otherwise why bother?

You’re correct on the dry weight of a ball not changing, but I’m not certain your point on the wet weight is correct mate

Prior to the 1970’s there was no polyurethane coating on footballs, so I’d guess you’re possibly right post 1970, but I can’t accept that a football made of a porous material such as leather wouldn’t gain more than 2-3g

The fact that they started using polyurethane to waterproof footballs in the 70’s would suggest that previously they held a lot of water & increased weight, otherwise why bother?
Shiny surface encourages swerve.

The coating made the ball last longer, even when it had worn off there wasn't a massive difference.

The killers were the Mitre Mastermoulds hard plastic, you got the muddy imprint on your head.

It was obvious heading wasn't any good for you, and when you get the age when your body takes longer to recover it is a mugs game unless you are paid a fortune. Plenty of ex-pros bodies are ruined by football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.