Leicester (H) | PL | Post-Match Thread

I think that second half shows that you can’t gut the team at 3-0 and think you can walk it.

Pep was a little too early and aggressive in his changes, but we survived…barely!

Maddison & Itchy could have embarrassed us.

It does illustrate the drop in brilliance…and I do mean brilliance… of the top 13-15 players.

Gomez…Palmer…Phillips…are they EVER going to step up to the level of the “team”?

The only factor that saves them from complete evisceration is that 1 or 2 changes helps the subs play with “the team.” Beyond that, the drop off in fluidity, telepathy, and control of the ball, and thus game, is painfully obvious.

Pep will put a smile on his face and think “Job done for Weds,” but we were the width of the post and Ederson’s left foot away from shopping 2 points…not to mention Itchy’s lack of a right foot.

Onwards…and COME ON YOU IRONS!!! ;-)

Chance wasted today. A Haaland hat-trick, a feel good thrashing of a poor opponent.

3 points, nothing else to say. Next game.
I actually think, despite the shite second half—and we were riding our luck at the end, to be sure—this was exactly what was needed.

We won, conserved energy, protected our key players, no injuries (that we are aware of, anyway), +2 GD, and can now shift full focus to Bayern away.

We didn’t need to score 7-0, with all of our best players going full throttle for 90 minutes, especially given a few have had knocks and injuries recently. I reckon Leicester would have started to put in some very tasty challenges toward the end if we did that, anyway.

If anything, that finish will bring greater awareness of what can happen if we become a bit too subdued in our play, which is a very good reminder ahead of our midweek clash.

And Pep was able to assess further some of our fringe players in an actual game setting, which will give him, the coaches, and the players more to work on in training.

Could we have done better? Sure.

But I guarantee you every manager in the world would bite your hand off for this result given the greater context.

Totally get Pep doing his usual, the game is done, pull the big guns off and coast, but why not kill the opposition first .. Second half was garbage …
Job done though, 3 points and the arse will be shitting themselves :-)

Fucking hell that was nearly three points thrown away. Incredible to be even writing that after the first half but it's true

Everyone knows why Pep made the changes but once he did the drop off in quality was alarming. When you watch Phillips, Gomez and Palmer play you know the squad depth needs better quality, they are miles off it. I know the subs had been made but we don't half panic once a team reduces our lead, even at 3-1. The only positives out of this was three points, no injuries and players rested.

Redknap just said it, we got away with one.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.