Leicester (H) Post-Match Thread

Spot on. When I talk about Colin to younger people, I'm sure they think I'm exaggerating. As a track athlete, he was, like you say, at least as fast as some Olympic gold medalists in several distances. It begs the question, how good a track athlete could he have been if he trained for athletics ? A multi-distance Olympic gold medalist without doubt. 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1,500, 5,000 - he would have had to decide which events to drop because of the schedule. To oldies like me - when Colin walks onto the pitch with other legends from the past it's lump in the throat time - impossible to describe why but it's just the effect he has on some of us. Maybe it's the sheer humility of the guy.

Colin was decades ahead of his time - the old heavy balls, the shit pitches (not ours though - courtesy of Stan Gibson). Had a wiry build - not an ounce of fat on him. He was a City 2019 player in the 60s and 70s. First name on Pep's teamsheet.

In my mind I can see Colin picking the ball up near his own box, surging forward past numerous opponents before hitting a precision diagonal to Summerbee on the right and to a lesser extent to Donachie overlapping down the left. Anyway, Summerbee crosses, Davies lays it off with his head and Franny runs in and crashes the ball in.

Early 90s, I saw Colin play for a City legends eleven against ICI over 35s in Crumpsall. He was in his 40s and his leg didn't have much flexibility, but he hit a string of 50/60 yard diagonals to Peter Barnes on the opposite flank. Awesome experience - virtually no backlift - each pass inch perfect.

Colin isn't a legend - he's a god.
Brilliant post that fella, spot on.

The sun is going down on Merlin's career. Think of that ridiculous pass to Edin during the 6-1. Think of the way he virtually single-handedly turned it round against Hull away in 2014 when Kompany had been sent off. Those moments will not come again, but we've had so many of them over the approximate decade that he's been with us. We should just be thankful to have seen the greatest ever (nobody alive has seen Peter Doherty, who by all accounts was a force of nature).
In the second half of the season, I expect to see him being brought on for half-hour periods towards the end of a game, or starting and playing a first half or so. But time and tide etc. It'll be an emotional one at the end of the season.

I just hope he's fit for Norwich game and gets a full 90 - preferably in the mode we have all become accustomed to!

Never mind elite, he could have featured in the Olympics. From memory, City had a sprint coach called Brian Green, who was the English 100 yards champion. Bell was marginally quicker. He also recorded a 400m time that was quicker than the one that David Jenkins won the European championships. That was just his sprinting. What he'd be like at middle distance I don't know, but he left the Duracell bunny for dead!
Finally, he appeared on Superstars, with the last event being a 600m run against David Hemery, who won the 400m hurdles in a world record time in Mexico, 1968. The race was a handicap with Hemery about 60m behind the start line and the rest from scratch to about 100m in front, with the theory that Hemery would come through at the end and be victorious. Bell was on scratch. At the end of the race, Hemery was second, 60+ metres behind. No prizes for guessing the winner.
Of the two, Colin was a better athlete, no question about it. As a footballer, you need a coin to determine who is/was better, they are/were both that good.
Pity they played at different times in the club's history.

Colin's sister could run a bit (county champion whilst still at school)...can't recall her distance but was told she was also an exceptional fell runner

Never mind elite, he could have featured in the Olympics. From memory, City had a sprint coach called Brian Green, who was the English 100 yards champion. Bell was marginally quicker. He also recorded a 400m time that was quicker than the one that David Jenkins won the European championships. That was just his sprinting. What he'd be like at middle distance I don't know, but he left the Duracell bunny for dead!
Finally, he appeared on Superstars, with the last event being a 600m run against David Hemery, who won the 400m hurdles in a world record time in Mexico, 1968. The race was a handicap with Hemery about 60m behind the start line and the rest from scratch to about 100m in front, with the theory that Hemery would come through at the end and be victorious. Bell was on scratch. At the end of the race, Hemery was second, 60+ metres behind. No prizes for guessing the winner.
Of the two, Colin was a better athlete, no question about it. As a footballer, you need a coin to determine who is/was better, they are/were both that good.
Pity they played at different times in the club's history.

There you go mate, a great watch and takes you back, shame he fell at the start of the 100m, but when he wins the 600m, he's not even pushing himself for the last 200m, coming in 3rd to two world class, elite athletes in John Conteh and David Emery is no shame.

It was top class performance apart from finishing, as it could have ended 5-1 or even 6-1 and this is against the team wih best defensive record so far.

We clearly raised our game for this as this kind of performance in terms of pressing, running, starting already really well in first half is quite rare this season unfortunately.

This when City is raising their game, as so many times I see on this forum that opponents raise their game against City, well this is what we have to do, raise our games.
Their keeper made 3 great saves,it's not all about the finishing,he was the reason it wasn't a battering

There you go mate, a great watch and takes you back, shame he fell at the start of the 100m, but when he wins the 600m, he's not even pushing himself for the last 200m, coming in 3rd to two world class, elite athletes in John Conteh and David Emery is no shame.

Not seen that since it was on the TV, so long ago. Cheers for that.
My memory's not as bad as I thought!

Brilliant post that fella, spot on.
Love it.

Never had the privilege but just showed your post to my old man, response “He’s not wrong, although I’m sure if there was a God, he would’ve enjoyed having a role model in Bell”

put the one on of KK falling off his bike!

Their keeper made 3 great saves,it's not all about the finishing,he was the reason it wasn't a battering
We need to have more matches where that's the case. It's a lot easier to stomach a poorer result/lower score if at least it's due to some brilliant keeping as opposed to poor finishing.

Hi all

Leicester city season ticket holder, who was at the game yesterday.

have to say you guys were absolutely insane yesterday. I think it was a real lesson for us, and a reality check of how far behind both you and Liverpool we are.

I genuinely believe that we are good enough to make the top 4, and think we will. But yourselves and Liverpool (despite we still 1 point ahead) are too far above us in terms of class.

KDB is a genius! Mahrez destroyed chillwell, so much that every time you attacked down that flank I thought you’d score. Both our wingers and sub wingers are not good enough currently to enable us to compete with you guys.

You bullied, harassed and pressed us so much that we couldn’t play. Had we been at our best I think you’d still have won. But we were so bad yesterday that it could of been 7-1. Though Vardy goal was great!!

you throughly deserved the win, and would be ace if you caught Liverpool as unlikely as it will be.

good luck for the rest of the season

p.s do any of you know what was the name of the music being played, when your players pictures were being shown pre game? Sounding like Utah saints?

I can genuinely say that I'd love it if you caught the dippers (I think it's beyond us, now). I would laugh like a drain. Start the demolition job two days from now, please.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.