Les Chapman - Tales of Blue

I've done that in numerous posts. He was a great manager, just what we needed. But he was always going to have a short shelf-life and he, and only he, was the architect of his own downfall.

Why don't you give some credit to Chappie, who was popular with, and respected by, our players? He served the club faithfully for years. You've never met him, or spoken to anyone at the club about him but here's what you said:
I like your posts PB. A friend of mine and yours was a City Matters guy. And I respect your input on this forum and everything you do around City...

Roberto is the man. He took us from an ugly club with money to winners.

He won a trophy within season and a half after taking over a club that hadn't won Jack Shit for 35 years.

He took us into the Champions League in the same time spell

As far as I'm concerned he's the man.

Chappie might have put out a decent pair of socks but so can my Mrs

We went after who he asked for. He handed his notice in the day after the QPR game and got a new contract, even though the club already knew there was likely to be a showdown over Soriano/Begiristain.

Not sure what else we could have done for him. In hindsight it would have been better to accept his notice, thank him for his service and move on.

The last bit is undeniably true. Given the likelihood of an enormous culture clash between who Mancini was and where the club wanted to go, it was probably a mistake giving a new contract.

I have always wondered if the Guardiola timing was anything to do with it. They were hoping Soriano and Begiristain could get a structure in place before Guardiola came at the end of 2011/12 but IIRC Soriano's arrival was delayed by his problems with Spanair, so 2012 was out of the question. Guardiola takes a year sabbatical in New York of all places, improving his English, then the whole place gets toxic and Guardiola goes to Bayern for three years until it's sorted. We take Pellegrini for three years and the rest is (successful) history.

May all be bollocks, of course,

Last edited:
I've done that in numerous posts. He was a great manager, just what we needed. But he was always going to have a short shelf-life and he, and only he, was the architect of his own downfall.

Why don't you give some credit to Chappie, who was popular with, and respected by, our players? He served the club faithfully for years. You've never met him, or spoken to anyone at the club about him but here's what you said:
So Chapman served the club faithfully by selling stories to the Daily Mail about the manager and players? Maybe you give him some credit for that, but I and a few others don’t. I wonder if the players would have respected him so much if they knew what he was doing and why - no I don’t think so either. If that’s your type of role model employee then good for you.

Love Tales of Blue and going through them all when i can but for some reason the idea of listening to the gurning sock washer simply doesn't appeal, does he actually out himself as a fan of our chums from M16 or is it all hearsay?.

Love Tales of Blue and going through them all when i can but for some reason the idea of listening to the gurning sock washer simply doesn't appeal, does he actually out himself as a fan of our chums from M16 or is it all hearsay?.
Common knowledge Chappy is an Oldham born rag, lad (fellow rag) I know from that area knew this for years. I was genuinely shocked first time I heard it.

Got nothing to add but I'm loving this thread. Best one on Bluemoon for a long time. Keep it up (apart from @EcclesBlue who's going to get splinters sitting on that fence).

Common knowledge Chappy is an Oldham born rag, lad (fellow rag) I know from that area knew this for years. I was genuinely shocked first time I heard it.
Having read through this thread now I am beginning to wonder if I should come off that fence. If the reports similar to the two quoted here are true and Chapman was a Trafford fan and gave confidential (or otherwise) quotes about our club to journalists then I am off that fence completely and have lost any respect I had for him.

Sorry for being taken in by him. My bad :-(

p.s. @Jogon 127 it can't have been that common knowledge as it hadn't filtered down .... mmmmm maybe that's because I go round with my Pollyanna specs on most of the time. ;-)

My couple of interactions with Les led me to believe he was and always has been very much a Blue, and he cared about the club. I’m not arguing with the posters who say the opposite and am having too bad a week to invite snide replies. I’m being respectful and others probably know more than me. I can only go off my encounters with him.

Have a good day and CTID.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.