Les Chapman - Tales of Blue

And made us winners, so he has my utter respect.

In the first two and a half years, or in the last year?
Mancini was an abrasive character but that's probably what we needed after the largely ineffectual Hughes. He did indeed make us winners but being abrasive will only take you so far. It's a short term strategy. I suspect Peter Reid was much the same.

The problem really came to the boil with Marwood, who was effectively DoF (but without the title). Mancini had no intention of working with anyone other than his own coaches and the club tried to sidestep the issue by moving Marwood to the 'Football Administrator' role.

However things really came to a head when we appointed Soriano & Begiristain. Khaldoon was insistent that we would have a proper management structure which involved a Director of Football whereas Mancini wanted to do it all himself. That was in the 2011/12 season, prior to the PL win. The club tried hard to convince him but ultimately he was apparently rude and disrespectful to the owner and chairman.

If he felt he could do that to them, then sure as hell he felt he could do it to lesser mortals. The club knew his time was up when even total professionals like Zabba and David Silva were complaining.

Chappy's major role (even more than managing the kit) was to foster a good atmosphere in the dressing room, as he was the member of staff players had most interaction with. Mancini. on the other hand, eventually poisoned it.

I can certainly respect Mancini for what he did for us, delivering two trophies. Perhaps he even needed to be a bit of a bastard to do that. But that will only take you so far and I don't understand people knocking a genuine person like Chappy, who in his own way played a major role behind the scenes, just because he happened to speak out about a complete lack of civility. You have to work with people and you work better with them if there's mutual respect.

Perhaps I'm on Chappy's side because (a) I've heard more than most about Mancini's behaviour and (b) it reflects an incident in my current role, where we originally had a key team member who was regularly rude to everyone. He got shipped out and while I could agree with some of his work-decisions, I had no respect for him and the team was a much happier and more productive one when he was replaced.

Mancini was an abrasive character but that's probably what we needed after the largely ineffectual Hughes. He did indeed make us winners but being abrasive will only take you so far. It's a short term strategy. I suspect Peter Reid was much the same.

The problem really came to the boil with Marwood, who was effectively DoF (but without the title). Mancini had no intention of working with anyone other than his own coaches and the club tried to sidestep the issue by moving Marwood to the 'Football Administrator' role.

However things really came to a head when we appointed Soriano & Begiristain. Khaldoon was insistent that we would have a proper management structure which involved a Director of Football whereas Mancini wanted to do it all himself. That was in the 2011/12 season, prior to the PL win. The club tried hard to convince him but ultimately he was apparently rude and disrespectful to the owner and chairman.

If he felt he could do that to them, then sure as hell he felt he could do it to lesser mortals. The club knew his time was up when even total professionals like Zabba and David Silva were complaining.

Chappy's major role (even more than managing the kit) was to foster a good atmosphere in the dressing room, as he was the member of staff players had most interaction with. Mancini. on the other hand, eventually poisoned it.

I can certainly respect Mancini for what he did for us, delivering two trophies. Perhaps he even needed to be a bit of a bastard to do that. But that will only take you so far and I don't understand people knocking a genuine person like Chappy, who in his own way played a major role behind the scenes, just because he happened to speak out about a complete lack of civility. You have to work with people and you work better with them if there's mutual respect.

Perhaps I'm on Chappy's side because (a) I've heard more than most about Mancini's behaviour and (b) it reflects an incident in my current role, where we originally had a key team member who was regularly rude to everyone. He got shipped out and while I could agree with some of his work-decisions, I had no respect for him and the team was a much happier and more productive one when he was replaced.

Fair enough. You are right that it would all end in tears eventually, of course. Are you hearing these stories about Mancini from people on the "winning" side? I only ask because I know from working in a political environment, as I am sure you do, that you can't always believe everything you hear, especially when it is from one side, particularly the "winning" side.

We hear on here from the Bluemoon "cognoscenti" that Kompany went to AD to complain about Mancini, for example. Now Kompany is a politician, I doubt he would have pointed fingers, rather explained how the situation was untenable and something had to be done about it. Unless people know better first-hand.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Mancini going, it was inevitable with the introduction of Soriano and Begiristain. What I didn't like was the character assassination in the next year that rolled people out to criticise the guy unnecessarily. Especially so as, apart from a few cheap shots at Soriano, Mancini has always, to this day, been very respectful about the club.

The fact that Mancini is still appreciated by a majority of City fans probably shows that tack was a mistake.

To the relevance to this thread. Chapman was one of those guys rolled out, and for that I don't particularly value what he has to say, even if he has some interesting stories.

That's a load of ITK 'Chappy biased' tosh imo. Well written, but ultimately from an anti-Mancini perspective.

I look forward to reading your fable of the tea lady.

Merry Christmas PB.

“Above me, only Khaldoon.”

I met Chappy at his testimonial diner at the Etihad in 2013 and after chatting with him for a while seemed like a very likable bloke. The fact that all the first team was there and loads of ex players, showed how well thought of he was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.