Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: official move for Lescott today...

we should not pay £25m for him, ever.

We could prize Westermann away from Schalke for much less than that. We could get Carvalho for much less than that. We get Luisao for much less than that..and so it goes on...all these players are equivelant quality to better.

I agree we did it with SWP but they prob paid between 5 and 7 m over the odds for him and at that time they couldnt get anyone else like him.

My point is i dont mind paying a city premium when we cant get another play like them, so for someone such as eto'o, kaka, terry etc etc you pay a city premium firstly because you cant get another player like them and secondly because they bring alot of other things in terms of marketing potential.

Lescott brings no marketing potential and could be replaced by a number of players such as westerman etc so while i agree we may have to pay a little over the odds 10m over the odds is ludicrous as quite frankly he just isnt worth it.

sam221985 said:
we should not pay £25m for him, ever.

We could prize Westermann away from Schalke for much less than that. We could get Carvalho for much less than that. We get Luisao for much less than that..and so it goes on...all these players are equivelant quality to better.

Carvalho - questionable because of injuries
Luisao is not as good as Lescott
Westermann I rate but is unproven ehre

I think the temptation is just to say 'oh just pay what they want and get it over with, get him signed' but we have to play it very cool and try and keep the transfer fee as down as possible. Moyes is absolutely brilliant at getting quality players that are cheap as chips and then turn them into key players e.g Lescott from Wolves, Jagielka from Sheffield Utd and Tim Cahill (all them years ago) from Millwall. Given that they will more or less inevitably (nowadays) be our competitors for 5th and 6th position in the table, we cannot give them too much ammunition to shoot us down somewhat.

mancboy123 said:
I agree we did it with SWP but they prob paid between 5 and 7 m over the odds for him and at that time they couldnt get anyone else like him.

My point is i dont mind paying a city premium when we cant get another play like them, so for someone such as eto'o, kaka, terry etc etc you pay a city premium firstly because you cant get another player like them and secondly because they bring alot of other things in terms of marketing potential.

Lescott brings no marketing potential and could be replaced by a number of players such as westerman etc so while i agree we may have to pay a little over the odds 10m over the odds is ludicrous as quite frankly he just isnt worth it.

Don't forget the importance of having English players in a squad for European competitions, bringing in quality English players to an English club is a must and therefore a premium is usually paid if the other club are not keen on letting the player go.

i see villa are after hangeland and upson, do you think we should go for either of them.

bookiesgirl said:
i see villa are after hangeland and upson, do you think we should go for either of them.

I doubt Villa can afford both of those.

I think we can probably do better than both of them to be honest, Upson is not enough of an improvement on what we've got, Hangeland didn't look that impressive at any point in this career before last season.

bookiesgirl said:

No. We should be going after Lescott, Westermann, Lucio and Touré. Leave Terry alone now.

C_T_I_D said:
bookiesgirl said:

No. We should be going after Lescott, Westermann, Lucio and Touré. Leave Terry alone now.
i agree we should walk away from terry now.

Im not disputing that we will have to pay a premium. it isnt right but its the way of the world what I am disputing is that a premium of around 10m is ludicrous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.