Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
moomba said:
johnmc said:
Called playing the percentages.

I don't disagree, but we need to remember that we are not chasing instant success, surely we have the capacity to buy players and allow them time to settle in.

And every now and then percentages will tell us to buy Andy Johnson, and let that Torres foreigner go and struggle somewhere else for six months.

Yeah and when the like of Eto'o become available we have gone for them haven't we. I'm sure if Villa or Silva were seriously considering moving to England we would be in the hunt.

Like I said, shame there is not a poll feature. I imagine a fair number of city fans want us to walk on this one now.......

johnmc said:
Yeah and when the like of Eto'o become available we have gone for them haven't we. I'm sure if Villa or Silva were seriously considering moving to England we would be in the hunt.

I'm sure we would to, although I'm not 100% whether that would be a decision made by Hughes, or in conjunction with Hughes.

The ones I feel we are ignoring are the younger non established players with the potential to be the best. Getting back on the Lescott topic, look at the likes of Vidic, Skrtl, Hangeland, Agger - all bought in recent times. None of them prem proven, none of them were big names, and I reckon each of them provide 10 times the value Lescott would if we paid £20m+.

You don't even have to go that far back to find a centre half Everton bought from lower league Wolves without prem experience. That didn't turn out too bad for them, and I just feel that if we are ignoring non prem proven players for the benefit of Hughes job prospects it is to our cost.

When it comes down to it, I suspect he's not doing it to save his job, I just think it's the comfort zone that Cook talked about.

This is in the Echo tonight.

Powered by Google Site Web
Home Everton FC
News Joleon Lescott to return in Everton FC friendly with Malaga
Aug 7 2009 by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo
Comment (1)Recommend 12next

Joleon Lescott
JOLEON LESCOTT will aim to put the most difficult week of his Everton career behind him when he returns to action against Malaga tonight.

The England international rocked the Blues on Monday when he met with manager David Moyes and asked for a move to Manchester City.

That request was thrown out in a flash, as Moyes has no intentions of selling one of the most important members of his squad to a side who are likely to be rivals this season.

Lescott was spared an uncomfortable first meeting with any Evertonians on Tuesday night, as he was ruled out of the friendly at Blackpool after jarring his hip.

However, he has since responded to treatment and returned to full training at Finch Farm yesterday and it is understood that Moyes will restore him to the centre of defence.

Moyes has a number of fitness issues ahead of Everton’s final warm-up fixture – notably surrounding Jo and Joseph Yobo – and he wants Lescott back in the fold.

He said: “I thought there was a chance of him playing against Blackpool. He trained but felt it again, so we decided not take a risk with him. We will see.”

Everton’s manager is also refusing to budge from the stance he has adopted all summer long which, simply, is that Lescott is not for sale.

moomba said:
johnmc said:

I'm sure we would to, although I'm not 100% whether that would be a decision made by Hughes, or in conjunction with Hughes.

The ones I feel we are ignoring are the younger non established players with the potential to be the best. Getting back on the Lescott topic, look at the likes of Vidic, Skrtl, Hangeland, Agger - all bought in recent times. None of them prem proven, none of them were big names, and I reckon each of them provide 10 times the value Lescott would if we paid £20m+.

You don't even have to go that far back to find a centre half Everton bought from lower league Wolves without prem experience. That didn't turn out too bad for them, and I just feel that if we are ignoring non prem proven players for the benefit of Hughes job prospects it is to our cost.

When it comes down to it, I suspect he's not doing it to save his job, I just think it's the comfort zone that Cook talked about.

Yes but the difference is we need a defence that works here and now. Hughes cannot afford to take the chance on those players until he has experienced ones first. And also, i would say for every sucess there are two failures.

Buy prem league players in now and then we can afford to take a chance on one or two and hope they pay off. To take a gamble could turn out like a Boumsong and would cost Hughes his job. Now if he bought Lescott or Upson and then one of these players then everyone wins. £10m for Upson who can play for a year (whether that be cover for Ned or otherwise) and a £6/8m "gamble" if you like on one of these players. Two players for the same price as Lescott - one solid and experienced the other a possible Vidic if you like.

Now he will be judged on his decision to bring Upson in rather than the gamble which could either be forgotten about or be a very shrewd bit of business, but he needs the Upson in order to be able to take this gamble if you see what i mean.

You seem to lack faith in Hughes ability to scout a player, he did it pretty well at Blackburn (not sure why he isn't doing more of it here).

Boumsong wasn't a gamble, he was badly scouted and badly coached.

And I don't agree we need to buy a "proven" player before we look at potential. Other managers scout players, buy them and throw them in straight away with great effect. I gave out some names before of recent ones that have been great successes. Sure there are failures, many of them are bargain basement buys that aren't properly scouted and don't have the basic tools to perform in the league. I don't think we'd be in the market for that type, look at Vidic who was an established international and experienced player when the rags bought him. Likewise with Skrtl, and Agger. We don't have to take risks, just expand our horizons a bit more.

moomba said:
You seem to lack faith in Hughes ability to scout a player, he did it pretty well at Blackburn (not sure why he isn't doing more of it here).

Boumsong wasn't a gamble, he was badly scouted and badly coached.

And I don't agree we need to buy a "proven" player before we look at potential. Other managers scout players, buy them and throw them in straight away with great effect. I gave out some names before of recent ones that have been great successes. Sure there are failures, many of them are bargain basement buys that aren't properly scouted and don't have the basic tools to perform in the league. I don't think we'd be in the market for that type, look at Vidic who was an established international and experienced player when the rags bought him. Likewise with Skrtl, and Agger. We don't have to take risks, just expand our horizons a bit more.

I don't think any of those players went straight into the team though. Vidic was bought in January and was a bit part player until the season after - he had a bedding in period. Agger played 4 times in his first season. Skrtl was given a chance following the an injury to Agger and never let Agger back in. That turned out well for Liverpool.

He has always had an eye for a striker as a coach and continued at City - can't complain at any of his buys at the top end.

The defensive players he brought at Blackburn ie Samba and Nelson - yeah quality buys - for Blackburn. They aren't top 4 players.

you have to somewhat admire Moyes though. he has us by the balls and could make us pay triple for JL and STILL will not sell him because he cares more about how his team will perform than the cash and what to do with it. I think if it was Chelski or Liverpool that wanted him he would sell because strengthening those teams makes little difference to him. But strengthening City makes him sick.

I'm miffed of course, or maybe this is STILL all one big game of chicken but Moyes is not giving in here.

Hughes should just recall jo if Moyes continues this stance,and push up the price of every player they want to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.