Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluesyob said:
any chance of an update been at work all day

Frig all happened... again. Still waiting for Lescott to officially put in a transfer request or for Everton to accept our upped bid. No other names being floated around officially, although loads unofficially on here.

johnmc said:
Just getting at the fact that Upson is underrated on here whilst Nedum overrated. Upson is superior to Nedum. Thats not to say Nedum won't become better than Upson by any means. Thats my opinion and I don't expect many supporters of that view on here.

Upson is a solid defender, he's not going to get better.

Ned was playing just as well when he came into the side, and will get better.

All IMO.

moomba said:
johnmc said:
Same thing - if he does well so does the club and vice versa

Not always the case, and not in this situation.

And there seems to be this assumption that prem experienced players will come in and perform straight away, while anyone from another league will need time to contribute. It's just not the case, especially if we're going to be spending decent money on decent quality.

I agree that there is an asumption that an overseas player will take time - that assumption isn't made on a whim though is it, on the whole overseas players do need time to settle. Not all the time but more often than not.

It is also based on the assumption that a player from another english club will fit in straight away which is not always the case either but happens more than a foreign player coming in. Called playing the percentages.

If MH is buying existing prem players in the hope of keeping his job then he might as well go now.

Surely if he is good enough and believes his judgement then he could convince the owners of where the club is going.

Although it may take them a little longer the owners should be able to see the improvements and quality of MHs signings.

moomba said:
Upson is a solid defender, he's not going to get better.

Ned was playing just as well when he came into the side, and will get better.

All IMO.

Totally agree Ned will get better and take your point re Upson having reached his peak. I'm happy for Nedum to play and Upson to stay where he is, but it wouldnt be a bad move getting Upson in.

why do they have to be from the prem ? even if they are not as good as a player from abroad and we'd probably pay more for a lower standard of quality

fair enough if it was players of the quality of terry and lescott.

johnmc said:
Called playing the percentages.

I don't disagree, but we need to remember that we are not chasing instant success, surely we have the capacity to buy players and allow them time to settle in.

And every now and then percentages will tell us to buy Andy Johnson, and let that Torres foreigner go and struggle somewhere else for six months.

onceabluealways said:
If MH is buying existing prem players in the hope of keeping his job then he might as well go now.

Surely if he is good enough and believes his judgement then he could convince the owners of where the club is going.

Although it may take them a little longer the owners should be able to see the improvements and quality of MHs signings.

Not sure what this means. If Hughes doesnt reach the top 6 then he knows he will get the bullet. He has been buying players who he thinks will finish in the top 6 (as high up in the top 6 as poss) It doesnt matter where they come from does it - he is buying his team and will live or die by it. He hasnt exclusively bought from the prem has he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.