Lescott or Cunningham

Dhenry

Now I am not a person to bash our own players - they have my wholehearted support. That's not what this thread is about.

What this is about is that Lescott is not a left-back, and yesterday's game proved it. He was reluctant to run into space infront of him - opting for simple passes instead; failed to make any good crosses; drifted way too much inward in defensive situations.

He's a centre back, and I think we would've been more dangerous and solid had we had the young lad Cunningham starting instead.

It's a big ask for him to be picked against Liverpool, but at least I would rather have a fullback (i.e. Zabaleta) there instead of Lescott. And definitely play him for the home leg.

Do people after yesterday still think that Lescott could do us a job at left back?

Dhenry said:
Now I am not a person to bash our own players - they have my wholehearted support. That's not what this thread is about.

What this is about is that Lescott is not a left-back, and yesterday's game proved it. He was reluctant to run into space infront of him - opting for simple passes instead; failed to make any good crosses; drifted way too much inward in defensive situations.

He's a centre back, and I think we would've been more dangerous and solid had we had the young lad Cunningham starting instead.

It's a big ask for him to be picked against Liverpool, but at least I would rather have a fullback (i.e. Zabaleta) there instead of Lescott. And definitely play him for the home leg.

Do people after yesterday still think that Lescott could do us a job at left back?

I have to completely disagree with you there mate, Lesco IMO had a very good game last night and looked really solid forward and defensively. Some of his best times at Everton was when he played left back so i definately wouldn't write him off!

He had a decent scoring record at EFC, to our cost, but I think that was mainly from set pieces and the debris following them, and he does not have a rampaging charge-down-the-wing game rounded off with a scintillating cross straight onto someone's head, a la Jerome, or a thumping left foot Kolarov-like shot. He is reasonably solid and it is this that might persuade Roberto to include him at the expense of Cunningham. But I think yer right, his best position is CB. The paradox is that Roberto wants footballers in every position, each providing an expansive game beyond the simple requirements of the position.

I thought Lescott did quite well, the Blue Dippers I know all say he is best at left bacl and I think a left footer at lb is a must, Richards struggles there and im not sure Zab is up to it either

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.