Lescott take a bow

Sunny Coast Blue said:
Joke of a player for what our expectations and his reputation were at the time, over his contract and going forward if your honest a 4/10 all day for value for money, gash compared to his blue dipper days.

Joke of a comment, you don't watch City much do you ?

Vital part of the team that won the cup in 2011 (and the semi)

Played 30 odd games in the title season

Its unfair to judge Joleon or indeed Jimmy Miner in pure value for money terms.
Compared to Silva & Yaya plus even later signings like Fernandihno & Aguero both were overpriced.

There are three factors to consider however:-

1 You usually pay a premium for English players due to the home grown rule.
Barry was an exception due to only having 12 months left on his contract.
2 There was very much a City premium also operating at the time and this
was most pronounced when buying from PL clubs.
3 Although Joleon is on big wages he's on nothing like the wages of Yaya for example.

We wanted players to get us to a certain level. Joleon has a full set of domestic medals
which proves he's given us what we wanted from him. Although he's no longer a first
team regular if he plays this weekend he will be eligible for a second PL medal if we win
it as he will have made 10 appearances. You've got to say he's proved to be a good signing
and at the time we did sign him I wasn't a fan after his display for England against Croatia.
He was arguably a better pure defender than Kompany in our championship season.

Lescott is a great old fashioned defender , he is not the new footballing centre back , and looks clumsy on the ball , but if you defend deep and want clean sheets then Lescott is the man , still think hes a better bet than MDM , but Pellers for some unknown reason puts his faith in the Argie ,

Considering I "should have been suitably embarrassed" this morning, I think I'll be suitably smug:

Demichelis does read the game better than Lescott, his pace just lets him down on occasion.

I've no doubt Lescott was a good defender two or three years ago when we won the title, but he's past it as well.

But if all is forgiven because of a soppy interview on the official site then you have no idea what kind of defenders we need at this club. Defenders who are comfortable on the ball (Kompany, Demichelis, Nastasic) and defenders who wouldn't mind stepping into midfield (Kompany, Demichelis).

Your view of defenders is incredibly traditional and short-sighted. Defenders aren't just things you stick in front of a goal to stop other teams from getting through, they can also start attacks with a wide range of passing abilities (Kompany, Nastasic, Demichelis). Can Lescott do that, other than with a 40 yard lump? No, he can't.

That's why he's going this summer and Demichelis isn't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.