Lesser known / Quirky records City hold

United won the League in 1908 and then the FA Cup in 1909. Their ground at the time was at Bank Street,Clayton, Manchester.
(Where the Velodrome car park is now apparently).
They didn't move to Old Trafford until 1910. So the anwer to your question is yes,1 other team from Manchester has one a major trophy(or two).
Drat!

They renamed the sixth round of the FA Cup into the Quarter Finals in 2016/17. City were the first quarter final, beating Middlesbrough 2-0. Silva scoring the first.
Well you learn something new every day as they say. I never knew that the 6th round no longer exists,it is officially the quarter - final (even though everybody has used the term quarter-final for around the last 100 years).
A very quirky fact indeed.

City were the first English team to play a “European” fixture when we were invited to Germany the play a select German league XI when we were champions in 1937.
We were Champions in 1937 and relegated in 1938, despite scoring the most goals in the league and with a positive goal difference.

To my knowledge, the champions of a country have only been relegated the following season a couple of times in any major league. Ourselves and Nuremburg are the only teams to hold that honour. I'm not including a couple of Italian clubs who were demoted after scandals as thats missing the point.

I think there are only four clubs to have won a major European trophy and then subsequently found themselves in the 3rd tier domestically. Us, Forest, Magdeburg, and as of last season, Ipswich. Might be an argument for Parma and Napoli, but strictly speaking, both clubs were disbanded and reformed.

Well you learn something new every day as they say. I never knew that the 6th round no longer exists,it is officially the quarter - final (even though everybody has used the term quarter-final for around the last 100 years).
A very quirky fact indeed.
It's my favourite because it's a quirky record that is impossible to care about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.