lets be honest

We didn't help ourselves at times last night but Bayern were still awesome. It was just like watching Barca in that first season Pep managed them when they won everything. It was nigh on impossible to know what, if any, formation they were playing at times because they were swarming all over us whenever we had the ball and then broke with devastating pace once they won it. Even when we did press them they invariably sucked us in and ended up playing round us.

We were beaten by a team who less than 6 months ago beat Barcelona 7-0 on aggregate and who have been in 3 of the last 4 Champions league finals. Sure, we underperformed and contributed heavily to all their goals but they're just a great side, who I suspect would beat us and any other English team 7 times out of 10. We need to improve dramatically before we can compete with a team like this.

Just watched the first half again and watching Yaya in particular the guy just jogged around the pitch all first half. There was a reason he was sold by Barca and that is because he doesn't work at closing people down when the opposition have the ball. Now I'm not saying we should sell him, or anything like that, but if a team is pressing us high then he should be dropped, and harder working players should be in his place.

The fact we couldn't get a foothold in the game in the first half apart from the first 5 minutes, then led to no service at all for the front players.

Jimfv1 said:
Just watched the first half again and watching Yaya in particular the guy just jogged around the pitch all first half. There was a reason he was sold by Barca and that is because he doesn't work at closing people down when the opposition have the ball. Now I'm not saying we should sell him, or anything like that, but if a team is pressing us high then he should be dropped, and harder working players should be in his place.

The fact we couldn't get a foothold in the game in the first half apart from the first 5 minutes, then led to no service at all for the front players.

Our front two were often in our final third just to see if they could touch the pigskin (LOL) but like the rest more often than not they couldn't get near it.

let's all convince ourselves that bayern are somehow off the scale and losing to them was inevitable. Seems our players had this mindset too. Well let me tell a different version of events, we were out thought and out fought by a team who individually weren't much superior at all but who collectively were prepared to buy into the coaches methods and apply themselves in a manner that made sure they took a stranglehold on the game early and didn't let up go. not too disimilar to the first 20 mins in bayern 2 years ago, only we didn't get the early goal or the penalty which our play deserved. There's a couple of points about that game too that are all too familiar Hart parrying the ball into the strikers path and dzeko misfiring or failing to control the ball.

starting 11s from that infamous night.
Bayern Munich: Neuer, Rafinha, Van Buyten, Boateng, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Gustavo, Muller, Kroos, Ribery, Gomez.
City:
Hart, Richards, Kompany, Toure, Clichy, Nasri, Barry,
Toure Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko.

We can be honest about that too that Bayern will face teams this season with nowhere near as good squads ( for instance in their league) as City's that will make it for them very hard to win...

We made i easy for them, Robben expected harder match, it was easy for them.

Still remember in 2011 when the CL draw was made there was a short video showing the reaction of the draw when City got into the group next to Bayern, Napoli, Villarreal...

He at that moment probably thought "ohh no just not City, they have fantastic players, oh not them".

Since that we became a team in Europe as bit of a laughing stock, top teams still expect hard matches against us and then they say it was easy...

Same last year, Dortmund pretty sure expected hard and tough matches against us, and they were unlucky not to get all 6 points against us.
Mourinho said himself he dont know how a top team like City performs so bad in CL.

The most annoying thing about last night (not counting the ineptitude of our performance or the painfully slow changes by Pellegrini) was that, yes; we got a severe chasing all over the pitch last night. But the goals we gave them were a bloody disgrace. Two bad mistakes by Hart and Clichy caught dozing. Bayern didn't have to work that hard, or rip us apart with fantastic skill, for their goals. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

there is no doubting that bayern are the best team in European football as was evident last night

However

for me MP got tactics all wrong, should have packed the midfield and not let them play, i felt sorry for Yaya and Fernandinho, spent 70 minutes chasing shadows and then as soon as we make the changes which packed the midfield it was a different game totally. Also for me Milner should have started, David Alaba is arguably the best right back in European football and was always going to match navas for pace which he did and then as happened last night navas was a bit lost for ideas, bit shocked at how wrong MP got his tactics and why he waited till the 70th minute to rectify his mistake. Bitterly disappointed last night as i feel that with the right tactics we could have given them a right game as we did in the last 20 minutes.

It was a worry that everyone in the ground knew we needed to make a change at half-time and it didn't happen.

I will wrap all the previous pages analysis up in one little sentence "Pellegrini is a tactical cabbage !!" Goodnight and sleep well .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.