Let's consolidate English and American

It's a motherfucking WALKway on the SIDE of the road, sidewalk makes perfect sense. Pavement could be the road itself, a patio, basketball court or a sidewalk. Think about it this way, you tell your friend you'll meet him on the pavement at 5:00pm. The poor sonofabitch thinks you mean the middle of the road and gets run over by a car and killed. Now you have a dead friend, how does that make you feel?

Lives will be saved by saying sidewalk.
What do you call the pedestrian friendly flat concrete down the middle of a road, with one lane of traffic going one way and the other lane of traffic going the other - a middlewalk?

This will end a lot of confusion going forward and we will do it fair. Here's how it will work: You come up with something that you'd be willing to switch and then something that you want us to switch. We can debate a little but there shouldn't be a need because we're going to be mature and not take advantage of the system. I'll go first:

From now on we Americans will say "schedule" w/o the hard "K" sound.

In return you Brits will heretofore refer to the fruit that is used to make ketchup as "tomatoes" with the "a" being a long "a".

Another one, Americans will call flashlights "torches" (I always thought torch sounded better than flashlight anyway)

But you'll have to agree to casually refer to "pounds" as "bucks". Bucks sounds cooler and it is actually something. If you want to fight I think we can all agree on "clams" since it's cool to sound like a gangster from the 1930s.
NO.

NO.

NO.

NO.

NO.

One thing that makes m smile.

We say progress and process, with a long 'o' sound, whereas Americans pronounce them with a short 'o'.

However, we say produce with a short 'o'', and yet Americans use a long 'o'.

It’s as if they are deliberately being contrary.

One thing that makes m smile.

We say progress and process, with a long 'o' sound, whereas Americans pronounce them with a short 'o'.

However, we say produce with a short 'o'', and yet Americans use a long 'o'.

It’s as if they are deliberately being contrary.
I'm glad that it makes the fictional Chief of the Secret Intelligence Service from the James Bond films smile ;) :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.