Let's talk about corners

Its now beyond a joke, our corner to goal ratio must be the worst in Europe, its impossible that we practice them, the short corners are so frustrating and never result in a goal, is it just me or do the corners we take drive you all crazy.

Defensively, we are lining up our big men on the 6 yd line while the opposition big men are on or about the penalty spot getting a run at the ball while being “marked” by titches.

By the time the ball gets to the middle of the area, our defenders are jumping flat footed while the opposition player has a head of steam and a running jump at the ball.

Recipe for disaster!

At the attacking end, when we do get on a cross, it invariably goes high or wide, because we just don’t have the type of players who demand respect (or the ball) in those areas!

In Stones, Dias, Ake, Laporte and Rodri, we should have players who take pride in getting on the end of a cross. I don’t think we do value the opportunity that presents itself from a corner.

I also agree with a previous poster; we should leave at least 2, possibly even 3, players upfield (on the wings) during a defensive corner. As soon as we get the ball, we should see them both attacking the space, and the ball sent their way!!!

Somebody did some stats a couple of years ago (and no, I 'm not sure where to find them) and apparently teams are no more likely to score form corners as they are from open play. So very overated, even if they give a few nervous moments for the defense.

Corners are now one of the most potent weapons in the Premier League and we are not coping at either end.

Last week United had 4 early corners we did not get a head on any of them. They were close to scoring from all of them. Hopefully the stats from Gremlin favour us, but the quality of opposition corners is improving all the time.

I think corners can be very useful in unsettling the opposition defence, even if you don’t score. If, like Southampton, corners create chances then the opposition are constantly on edge and battle to avoid conceding corners. Our corners are so poor that most teams are happy to give us corners knowing there’s unlikely to be any danger.

It would be nice to carry a real threat from corners as Dias, Stones, Rodri are all decent in the air but if we don’t score but great chances it chips away at defenders confidence. At the moment our corners tend to build confidence for attacking sides.

I may be wrong but I think only Mahrez v Leicester and Ake in the same game are our only goals from corners or free kicks. We have conceded from set pieces against Wolves, Leeds & WBA. I would be surprised if we didn’t have more corners and free kicks then the opposition during the course of the season.

Over the past decade in Europe's top five leagues, about 3% of all corners have led to goals.

so far we have had 88 corners(stats) so if we have scored 2 already(according to some poster ,that can only remember 2) then we are not far off the average.as for conceding goals from corners i cant remember maybe someone with a better memory can come up with something, im sure its not very high

i personally think corners are very hard to score from, and this thread is frankly bullshit, but i guess it was another unfounded whinge about the team.

majority of fans don't like a short corner, but from short corners we worry defenders more. From a normal corner we are far to easy to mark against, plus 50% of the time we don't beat the first man.

Until we have two hard to mark ariel attackers carry on with short corners and play the ball round or after a couple of passes cross in.

An even bigger waste is the indirect free kick around the penalty area, we are so casual in the box and the cross most of the time drifts over the bar.

on corners and indirect free kicks we might as well just keep possession and build from it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.