Liam Delap | £16m bid from Southampton rejected

Do you know the exact rules.
Are U21s classed differently to senior players?

I know premier league clubs have more restrictions than the other FA leagues.
Any loan player counts as a senior spot regardless of age.
maximum of five loan players can be included on the 18-man teamsheet for any one match (only four from one club and only 2 over 23.)

Hopefully he'll go out on a loan to a good championship side, he won't get any games at City if Haaland & Alvarez stay fit

How did Haaland learn? By playing senior football from a young age - he didn’t just sign for the biggest club who wanted him in the best league where he wouldn’t necessarily get the required minutes to develop; his career so far has been very well managed.

Delap potentially made a mistake coming here so young, rather than staying with Derby who’ve got a recent track record of bringing though young talent, and this summer it’s essential he finds a way to secure a move that will guarantee him 30+ games against experienced pros so he can kick-start his development. Burnley on loan would be ideal, with a view to another year if they get promoted.

Having him fully developed by the time Haaland’s release clause is active in 2 years could facilitate a ready-made replacement.

Moving to City early is never mistake, in here he will be developed as modern striker by the best coaching setup and manager in the world. The problem is playing time but his development isn't.

Last edited:
I do sometimes struggle to understand City's youth strategy. Lavia, who seemed a potentially great defensive midfielder and "City style" player, was sold at the drop of a hat and yet Delap, with seemingly little prospect of first team minutes, is kept at the club.
I am hopeful that one of Cole, McAtee or Delap will make an impression this season but cannot see how all three can be given minutes.
I guess if one does establish themself as a first team squad member then we should be happy. The days of half the team being academy graduates are in the past.

I do sometimes struggle to understand City's youth strategy. Lavia, who seemed a potentially great defensive midfielder and "City style" player, was sold at the drop of a hat and yet Delap, with seemingly little prospect of first team minutes, is kept at the club.
I am hopeful that one of Cole, McAtee or Delap will make an impression this season but cannot see how all three can be given minutes.
I guess if one does establish themself as a first team squad member then we should be happy. The days of half the team being academy graduates are in the past.
Cole palmer will get more game time this season he’ll be with the first team squad now ..

It’s probably nothing more than price. They felt it was a good deal for Lavia but, as a striker, Delap could be worth a fair bit more in a couple of seasons.

Saying that, I can see Palmer doing well this season and McAtee getting some good minutes with the five subs rule, but can’t see Delap getting much time even with injuries.

Makes you wonder where our valuation comes from for Delap, or maybe we do rate him and he’d have got more minutes last season but for injuries.

Again. Their records at the same age
Liam was way ahead, different class
Broja is only ahead in terms of age and opportunity
Put Liam in the Eredivise next year and give him 30 games.
Do you seriously think he won’t score 10?
Even John Guidetti got double that
Give him 32 apps for Saints next year
Do you seriously think he won’t beat 6 goals?
I’m all for patience with our young lads but this lad is a man, a natural goalscorer. Lost almost a year to injury but he’s hungry and ready to fuck people up
Broja is 21 in about 5 weeks btw. ie He is two years above Liam in age group Football
Pointless looking at youth records. Moulden scored Guinness Book of Records levels of goals in youth football. Didnt mean anything.

I like Delap. He needs to play at a decent level. You may well be right and he does well (better than Broja), but nothing is certain at this stage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.