Life

I’ve been three month alcohol free since I was put on antidepressants. Whilst a friend who has had similar problems says it’s ok to drink sensibly, I’ve decided to kick the beer in to touch for a little while. Pubs being shut has helped but I don’t think I’d have gone out anyway. I’ve drank regularly for about 25 years and this is unprecedented! I’m pleasantly surprised in myself at how easy I’ve found it. Boredom kicks in every now and again but I get through it.

fair play. I enjoyed reading that.

I’m 47 but I spent most of my twenties in uni, then my thirties grafting and working my way up that greasiest of poles, the American corporate business. To be honest I’ve spent the last seven years continuing that ascent but I’ve been fortunate enough to realise that life is meant to be experiential rather than dedicated to pursuit of the dollar or meaningless work titles.

Funny thing is, I’ve learned that companies don’t give a fuck about anybody. I’ve seen brilliant, hardworking colleagues binned because it would save the company a few quid. I’ve sometimes been the one tasked with the binning. I’ve done that on two occasions, the last time was two weeks before Xmas in 2016....cunts.

These days I try and dedicate as much time as possible to playing sports or travelling to watch them. I’ve got a little lad who helps to keep me grounded on the important stuff and I plan to spend his summer holidays travelling Europe when he gets to an age where he can appreciate/remember it!!

I’ll also be teaching him to follow his passion rather than the dollar.

My cousin and her husband were opposite to that. They never worked during school holidays so they could spend all that time with their kids. Mind you he's the sort of bright, bloke that can and did turn his hand to anything and could pick up work easily. He even did a part time degree in his late forties and never did anything with it. Not that money bothered them too much as they didnt go in for much materialism, some of their family cars had to be seen to be believed. I asked once why they did it and the answer was you'll never get that time with them back and earning more money than you need is time wasting. They supported the kids in all their activities they are still one big happy family even now with the numerous grandchildren added. I applied that as much as I could to my kids years later. It was the best piece of advice I got and I'm glad I spent that time with my kids. Though my youngest son who's 21 mentioned recently that I still hadn't been forgiven for 'those four days at Butlins'. And the other added "and what sort of father takes his sons to Amsterdam while they're still in the junior school" The sort who's wife didn't want to go away, that's who. I told them to view that one as a preparation course for later life.

The sort who's wife didn't want to go away, that's who.

That's interesting - what didn't she like about going away ?
I always dislike the prep for holidays and being at airport and plane, but did she love being at home so much ?

She'd been to Amsterdam with me before and she didn't like it. She was quite a nervous traveller when we met and started going away and still is to some extent. It didn't help when we nearly got mugged in Naples by a gang and we had the boys with us coming back from Pompeii. I dragged her around Europe two years ago for three weeks doing the interrail thing. She was fine with that, other than the Hamburg incident, and the Prague incident and Krakow isn't mentioned in our house.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.