Life

I'm only 28 so a young blood compared to a lot of the oldies on here. I felt at 25 that I was too old to start certain hobbies and had fallen into the trap of thinking my life was going to be 'work til retirement age then slowly fade away til death'. I think a lot of youngsters fresh out of school/uni think this. I was feeling somewhat down and uninspired so I decided to change things.

I had always wanted to rock climb but was afraid of heights. So I signed up at the local climbing gym and haven't looked back. I quit social media. I wake up at 5am every morning and go to the gym because I've always been a skinny guy with little muscle and strength. I eat as healthy as possible (pizza is still my weakness), I started doing yoga and jiu jitsu. I have started learning Korean as well (just because). I'm fortunate enough to have enough money to travel so I've hiked to Everest Base Camp, hiked through Milford Sound (beautiful!), traveled and hiked all along the west coast of America. I'm doing a beginner alpinism course in NZ in a few months. All this of this in 3-4 years and I've never felt more positive and keen to take on life. I'll never be the best at any of the activities I've started doing, but I'd rather be average at them than to have never tried them at all. Of course there have still been down times too, but having the goods times to balance those out are important.

I look at some of the people around me who are depressed, lazy, uninspired. Some people are down on their luck and get the raw end of the deal in aspects of their lives, but I think a lot of people are in a bad way mentally because they don't follow their passions due to fear of failure and because the biggest stopper in the way of their dreams/aspirations is the little voice inside your head telling you that it can't be done. While I'm in a good place mentally, financially and health wise, I'm doing all I can to make the most of it; I know things can change in an instant. Perhaps there is someone reading this who has always thought about doing something but never gone ahead with it....just do it!

sounds to me like you’ve got it sussed mate, going to those lengths to conquer a fear is a huge statement about who you are as a person

Thanks for the concern mate, I'm doing great, lots of work and skiing. It is another big snow year but hasn't got below -25c so a lot warmer than usual
Great to hear!

We’ve had quite a bit more snow so far than the historical average through mid-February, but it has also paradoxically been overall warmer than historical averages, so it has been a snow storm, melt, snow storm, melt cycle. It is beginning to stick, though, and will likely now mostly build until May. Nothing like what you are seeing, of course — the lowest temperature we have had thus far is -20c, but that was only for a night.

sounds to me like you’ve got it sussed mate, going to those lengths to conquer a fear is a huge statement about who you are as a person
Thanks for the kind words but I definitely don't have it all sussed haha. Just trying to create healthy habits for myself and taking responsibility for my own life and happiness. Also I don't think anyone truly conquers their fear of heights...you just find ways to cope with the fear. Facing that fear has definitely improved my life though.

Got to seriously sort my diet out as I am borderline diabetic. Got my smoking under control which is a start.

Got to seriously sort my diet out as I am borderline diabetic. Got my smoking under control which is a start.
Get on the keto diet,high fat low carb and sugar,it can reverse type 2 and in your case stop you getting it,put ketogenic diet in the search box and find the thread on it,diabetic uk are doing the same thing now

Bit of a bump.
Was my birthday yesterday, 72, no age at all. But I have a life limiting medical condition and can't be certain whether I will last much longer or not.
Mrs KS usually buys me a good claret for my birthday and I have quite a few saved up. Yesterday, I picked out an earthy Margaux to accompany steak and chips.
Mrs KS: "How many of those reds have you got?"
Me "About 10"
Mrs KS "You should get on and drink them. It would be a shame to die and leave them behind. Happy Birthday!."

This thread has made me think of an old guy who lived where I grew up. He had one of those old Rover P6, light brown in colour, and a handsome car. It was clearly loved and he looked after so well, always doing something to it and cleaning it.

Anyway, he died quite suddenly and the day after the funeral, his relatives sold the car. Happened to be walking past when I saw a stranger counting out the cash and with a handshake completed the transaction.

The guys pride and joy drove off down the road.

This thread has made me think of an old guy who lived where I grew up. He had one of those old Rover P6, light brown in colour, and a handsome car. It was clearly loved and he looked after so well, always doing something to it and cleaning it.

Anyway, he died quite suddenly and the day after the funeral, his relatives sold the car. Happened to be walking past when I saw a stranger counting out the cash and with a handshake completed the transaction.

The guys pride and joy drove off down the road.
That sums it up in a nutshell for me.
Do what makes you happy.
Try not to hurt others.
Be helpful if you can.
Don't plan too far ahead.
(My mate said 72hr was about right).
No one really cares in the end about you.

I'm only 28 so a young blood compared to a lot of the oldies on here. I felt at 25 that I was too old to start certain hobbies and had fallen into the trap of thinking my life was going to be 'work til retirement age then slowly fade away til death'. I think a lot of youngsters fresh out of school/uni think this. I was feeling somewhat down and uninspired so I decided to change things.

I had always wanted to rock climb but was afraid of heights. So I signed up at the local climbing gym and haven't looked back. I quit social media. I wake up at 5am every morning and go to the gym because I've always been a skinny guy with little muscle and strength. I eat as healthy as possible (pizza is still my weakness), I started doing yoga and jiu jitsu. I have started learning Korean as well (just because). I'm fortunate enough to have enough money to travel so I've hiked to Everest Base Camp, hiked through Milford Sound (beautiful!), traveled and hiked all along the west coast of America. I'm doing a beginner alpinism course in NZ in a few months. All this of this in 3-4 years and I've never felt more positive and keen to take on life. I'll never be the best at any of the activities I've started doing, but I'd rather be average at them than to have never tried them at all. Of course there have still been down times too, but having the goods times to balance those out are important.

I look at some of the people around me who are depressed, lazy, uninspired. Some people are down on their luck and get the raw end of the deal in aspects of their lives, but I think a lot of people are in a bad way mentally because they don't follow their passions due to fear of failure and because the biggest stopper in the way of their dreams/aspirations is the little voice inside your head telling you that it can't be done. While I'm in a good place mentally, financially and health wise, I'm doing all I can to make the most of it; I know things can change in an instant. Perhaps there is someone reading this who has always thought about doing something but never gone ahead with it....just do it!

fair play. I enjoyed reading that.

I’m 47 but I spent most of my twenties in uni, then my thirties grafting and working my way up that greasiest of poles, the American corporate business. To be honest I’ve spent the last seven years continuing that ascent but I’ve been fortunate enough to realise that life is meant to be experiential rather than dedicated to pursuit of the dollar or meaningless work titles.

Funny thing is, I’ve learned that companies don’t give a fuck about anybody. I’ve seen brilliant, hardworking colleagues binned because it would save the company a few quid. I’ve sometimes been the one tasked with the binning. I’ve done that on two occasions, the last time was two weeks before Xmas in 2016....cunts.

These days I try and dedicate as much time as possible to playing sports or travelling to watch them. I’ve got a little lad who helps to keep me grounded on the important stuff and I plan to spend his summer holidays travelling Europe when he gets to an age where he can appreciate/remember it!!

I’ll also be teaching him to follow his passion rather than the dollar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.