Lifestyle & retirement

it depends on your personal situation (kids, grandkids,etc) but with me it is just me and the wife, and I still don’t know how I found time to work. I have an elderly Father, so I spend a lot of quality time with him, helping him around the house and doing his garden. My wife is 6 years younger, so dropped her hours in the NHS. She works Monday, Tuesday, Weds so these are my job days, garden, diy etc and helping dad.
Thursday onwards is our time, and we go walking, Gymn, swimming or drive out for days out or overnighters. We are also in the fortunate position to be able to afford oversea holidays.
in the winter it is slightly different as the weather restricts me, so I did spend more time at home, but for me it was much better than the stressful job I had previously.
This is what I fear.

I retired in my mid 70s and don't regret working so long. I now do things that most retirees dream about doing. I go sailing in summer, skiing in winter, stay in bed till I want, days are free of deadlines and I can do as I please. But none of this compensates for having banter and conversations with customers who I have known for decades. Also, most of my working life I was surrounded by young people who because of their youthful ways do really keep you on your toes and their zest for life, which I had years ago, is wonderful to be part of. You hear many stories of how bad the youth of today is, don't believe it, the bad one's are probably 1% of them. Most kids are well mannered, honest and want to conform, that is my view on them. So my view on retiring is don't become isolated, seek out the things that make you, you alone, happy and you will enjoy your retirement maybe as much as your working life. After all it is your choice what you do.

I agree. There is no one answer that fits all. So many things come into play. Biggest one being health.If you have a job you love and are healthy, why not work on.. It could all be taken away in an instant though, so I would say, if you have worked hard all your life, make sure to leave time to enjoy what you have worked all your life to achieve.

I am 58 no debts, kids grownup, mortgage free, no car.
I could retire tomorrow but I love my job.
My plan is to retire at 62 but wonder how I will spend my days especially in Winter.
I don't want to watch TV all day or become a gamer.
What do people do when they retire?

I retired at 50. My time is taken up going out for runs 3 times a week, swimming twice a week, reading, gig going and catching up with mates.
I honestly don't know how I previously found time to work!

I am 58 no debts, kids grownup, mortgage free, no car.
I could retire tomorrow but I love my job.
My plan is to retire at 62 but wonder how I will spend my days especially in Winter.
I don't want to watch TV all day or become a gamer.
What do people do when they retire?

I'm 59, retired at 58, watch a bit of TV and a bit of gaming, particularly in the winter, when the weather is half decent I go hiking, and at least 4 days a week go shooting (with a stick and string not a gun). Catch up with mates in a similar position for coffee or breakfast maybe once a week, learning to cook (never had the desire to before, but starting slowly under the tutelage of SWMBO).

Some days, today being one of them, I do fuck all. As long as that doesn't happen too often, it's very pleasant. Will pop the headphones on this afternoon after lunch and a glass of red, and may just nod off as the beat just lulls me away :). Then I'll watch the game.

I've lost about 2 stone as I'm far more active than I was, I'm no longer stressed and basically get to do whatever I want.

Other than needing money, I fail to see why anyone would choose to work

I'm 59, retired at 58, watch a bit of TV and a bit of gaming, particularly in the winter, when the weather is half decent I go hiking, and at least 4 days a week go shooting (with a stick and string not a gun). Catch up with mates in a similar position for coffee or breakfast maybe once a week, learning to cook (never had the desire to before, but starting slowly under the tutelage of SWMBO).

Some days, today being one of them, I do fuck all. As long as that doesn't happen too often, it's very pleasant. Will pop the headphones on this afternoon after lunch and a glass of red, and may just nod off as the beat just lulls me away :). Then I'll watch the game.

I've lost about 2 stone as I'm far more active than I was, I'm no longer stressed and basically get to do whatever I want.

Other than needing money, I fail to see why anyone would choose to work
A stick and string, what’s that mate?

I'm new to the retirement game (finished 4 months ago). Started trying to do anything and everything in the beginning but after about six weeks I felt like I never had time for myself when in reality I wasn't making time for myself.
Always worked shifts and loved my long weekend off (once a month) and I decided that from now that moment on I would have a long weekend every week.
Now anything that falls into must be done happens on a Monday to Thursday and I do whatever takes my fancy on Friday Saturday and Sunday.
This change have made the world of difference to me and suddenly retirement is what I hoped it would be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.